sound system

Racer D

what?
So, I've got my G4 iMac, which needs a new sound system (currently plugged into a 20 year-old stereo = bad). So I'd like to hear your suggestions. Mostly I need speakers for listening to music

First of all, what are the benefits of plugging my speakers via usb rather than via normal audio cable? Practical benefits? :) Do I get better sound? Is my built-in soundcard bad?

I'd like a 2.1 system (I need some bass :D)

So I've been looking at JBL creature ($100) and Harman Kardon soundsticks ($200). $200 is the most I would pay for speakers, but only if they are really "better". So I'd like to hear from those who have heard both (or maybe other speakers too). Are they worth it? are soundsticks worth $100 more? Or should I consider a third speakers system?

I almost got the Bose computer speakers for $100--nice but NO bass--but decided to splurge and do it right. I seriously considered the $250 Bose and the $180 Klipsch set, but ended up buying the Soundsticks. They are excellent. Their blend of performance and aesthetics makes them easily worth the money. I found them on the Web for $150.

Be sure to get the Soundsticks II, because they have the regular speaker jack and volume control. I decided against the USB model (Soundstick I) because it severely limits your options should your speaker needs change in the future.

I am so happy with my (non-USB) Soundsticks that I am very tempted to buy another pair and an Airport Express module and set them up in another room in my house.

I've heard good reviews of both the JBLs and the Harmonn Kardons, as well as Apple's Soundsticks. There's also Yamaha's range (they look dull and PC-ish, but sound very nice) and if you want to splash out, Fujitsu-Ten has some nice looking ones too.

Anyone know of a way to get "virtual surround" (commercially it's Circle Surround II) on 5.1 (or 6/7.1) speakers from a 2 channel (stereo) source. ie. A way to make iTunes play on 6 speaker elements over a digital (optical or rca) connection?

Also. Anyone know of a decent all-digital amplifier for computer use?

(don't tell me, i already know speakers are analogue simply because of what they are)

Go Klipsch. I tried a set at the Apple store in a mall in Atlanta, fell in love, took a set home, and the rest is history.
And yes, I am an extreme audiophile. In the US I have an incredible sound system at home, and in my car there (15 speakers!!!).

Lots of customizing. There are tweeters that I cut into the dash, midranges and tweeters in the doors in back there's the subs, etc. I also had to custom fit a new alternator into the stupid thing because all the toys were killing the battery.

In my first car I bought a complete macaudio system consisting of a mono-amp for the sub-box (2x12'') and a 4channel amp for the front and back system. I used to give frequencies below 60Hz to my sub-box and from 60-120Hz to my 16cm kick-bass door-panel. I think the overall sinus power was around 500watt. But you know what was the funny thing about that system? I just had a cassette hifi and no CD-changer or drive. I didn't want to touch the system, since it was professionally installed.. I remember I had to pay pretty much for the cables. They had to be few times isolated but there was no need for an additional battery like in your case, diablo. But I enjoy a good hifi and speaker system as well. Am wondering how those BOSE systems sound that are optionally available for many cars and also for home audio. The good thing about cars is the defined space and the defined ear positions but the sound absorbing materials can cause a bunch of troubles.

The Bose systems provide an amazing sound. I am not a big fan of them in cars, with Infiniti and JBL being my first choice for factory installed systems.
However, a complete Bose system with the cube speakers, and bass system are quite good for the "low-end" high quality system.

Zammy-Sam said:
Bose is low-end? Wow, I was under the impression Bose and Bang&Oluvsen were the same league..
They are the low end of the High end products. Not low end of the low end ;) Confused yet?

so, from what I understand, I just have to buy speakers with a good name (brand), and from there on, it's the price that tells which is better. right?

Not necessarily... Some of the name brands produce lowend garbage. However the Klipsch or equivalent around 150+ dollars are really great systems. Go to the stores and have them demo them. They will do them.

my local apple dealer told me I could come there and listen to both, creature and the soundsticks, which are both said to be good speakers, and I'll see which sound better to me.

Still don't know though, usb or not? what difference does it make

Back