SoundTrack Pro doesn't start-up 10.4.4

DR J

Registered
Hi there,

System configuration G5 2GHz DP 1st generation, with ATI graphics and 2GB RAM. 10.4.4, FCP Studio 5 (all updates), iLife (05/06 doesn;t matter).

After recent updates, SoundTrack Pro failt to launch (nothing happens and a null.plist file appears in the prefs folder).

After several tries of re-installing soundtrack, removing and re-installing Pro-Applications support 3.1 (as Apple suggest, when some programs don't run), decided to do a full re-install.

Format Harddisk, reïnstall 10.4 + all updates. reïnstall Final Cut Pro 5 Studio + all updates. With this clean install Soundtrack Pro still doesn't run. You click on the icon and nothing happens !

Final Cut Pro and other applications do run, although QuickTime sometimes crashes when used as stand-alone, or within Safari (as plug-in).

I have another G5 with the same configuration, only differnence is that it has a stock NVDIA5200 card installed instead of an ATI.

Counldn't find ANY information ANYWHERE on this problem. The only hint was the Pro-Application re-install from the Apple support site, but that doesn't help at all.

I hope someone knows where to search for the answer, thanks in advance.

Joep

Beats me, but this is what happened; I did swap the graphics card for an NVDIA, but that didn't make a difference. Then I did two things simultaneously and I'm not 100% sure which one solved the problem, but let's see...

1) In the G5 were two LaCie PCI FW800 cards installed. I removed one card and put the other one in slot 4 , instead of slot 3

2) I swapped the clock battery with one from another G5. Later on , the battery read 3.24 V, which should be 3.6.

From then on SoundTrack Pro did launch and the problem was solved. I assume that replacing the battery had more influence than swapping the PCI card, but I didn't have the time to change it back and try one-by-one.

Conclusion: it might have been the battery after all, although ALL other programs had no problem whatso-ever with running AND the G5 clock is always synchronized to the Apple Internet clock time; which is up-to-date, so the battery didn't make a big difference there...

Whatever the problem you might have with your car in the future; just change your daily suit and your problems might fade away ;-)
By comparisson, that's roughly the relationship that the battery seems to have with SoundTrack Pro not starting up. Whatever...

Hm. While we now don't know what was the culprit, we know what users have to do, should they encounter the same problem. First: Move PCI-cards around (since that one's free), and if that doesn't help, replace the battery.

I *could* imagine that Soundtrack Pro somehow checks something about the on-board clock/battery. Could be a copy-protection scheme of some sorts (checking whether you're trying to copy an installed version of Soundtrack to another computer).

Back