Source Code Leaked? [Windows]

Now _there's_ one good reason for open source operating systems. Because _there_ from the beginning everyone's looking at the code... Well... I guess MS will still try and use this 'leak' as a promo against linux (something along the lines of "see? source open. not good!").
I wonder if there's any new satanic messages to be found in those source files. ;-)

teeth.gif

I can see the press statements now...

"We screwed up and our code got out into the open, leading to the possibility of even more hacks, worms, and viruses for our devoted *cough*yeah right*cough* customers. That's why open source is a bad thing."

An interesting take on the matter indeed. However, there's still going to be enough people interested in the source code in both evil and good ways. (From a Microsoft perspective, both ways are probably evil...)

kendall said:

Not sure if that was a joke or not, OS/2 actually started out as something that Microsoft and IBM were co-developing, until MS dropped out and started writing NT from scratch using much of the experience they learned writing for IBM...

Ripcord said:
Not sure if that was a joke or not, OS/2 actually started out as something that Microsoft and IBM were co-developing, until MS dropped out and started writing NT from scratch using much of the experience they learned writing for IBM...

"The Windows NT kernel was partially based on the OS/2 kernel that they created with IBM, and Windows 95 also borrows heavily from this code."

http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/OS2Warp.html

From that article: "Subsequent investigation has shown this was not the result of any breach of Microsoft’s corporate network or internal security, nor is it related to Microsoft’s Shared Source Initiative or its Government Security Program, which enable our customers and partners, as well as governments, to legally access Microsoft source code."

--- Well, what else, then? So it's _not_ from Microsoft's servers, not from Microsoft's shared source initiative and not from the Gov.sec.program. Where else can it have leaked, Microsoft? I find it amusing how they can be so sure that it's not one of the possible solutions. It must be one of the impossible ones, then? ;-)

Yes, it leaked from an impossible source. It was either the sun, Madonna's left nipple or a coconut on a beach in Cancun. :rolleyes:

This whole leaking source code for Windows thing wouldn't be such a big deal if Windows weren't so buggy in the first place...

this is all very intriguing. I'm thinking most of the stuff anyone would find in there has already been patched up by microsoft since it is kinda old. [REMOVED DUE TO SITE RULES ABOUT WAREZ BY FRYKE] I would never dream of downloading it tho, i know microsoft and the fbi definately want to track down where it came from and who has it. Also, I heard and have seen some funny quotes of the code, with the words crash,crap, and the f word in quite a lot of them. If theyre real or not, who knows. I still found it quite entertaining :p

I'd rather Bill Gate$' Vi$a number was leaked so I could order up my own supercluster. I'd buy Big Mac outright. :D

Randman said:
I'd rather Bill Gate$' Vi$a number was leaked so I could order up my own supercluster. I'd buy Big Mac outright. :D
Stealing from a thief... they'd have to exonerate you. :D

Randman said:

Use it to order a meatfeast pizza and a basket of chicken wings and send it to Steve Jobs!..

Back