Spawning new "Terminal" windows?

GroggleFroth

Registered
I'm trying to port my xterm/ssh launcher to use
osx's "Terminal" application. Is there any way
to launch *new* terminal windows, and in that window, execute arbitrary unix commands (in my case, ssh)?

I'm specifically looking for something like "xterm -e ssh &" type functionality for anyone familiar with x11.

write a shell script - save it with a ".command" extension - make it executable. then open if from the gui desktop.

fun stuff.

-cs-

Originally posted by Casey
write a shell script - save it with a ".command" extension - make it executable. then open if from the gui desktop.
-cs-

Opening the initial window isn't the hard part :) - it's having a script, open up *new* windos.

Hmm. I guess I might be able to fake something up by generating .command files on the fly, and using "open". I'll give _that_ a shot.

[I manage 1700 Solaris machines. Leaving 1700 .command files in a directory is less effecient than just typing a hostname into a small window that launches the right ssh goodness to get to the far machine that I have to remotely kick..]

Originally posted by GroggleFroth

Hmm. I guess I might be able to fake something up by generating .command files on the fly, and using "open". I'll give _that_ a shot.

Ick. That did sorta work. I did "open /tmp/foo.command", and "foo.command" was ran in a new terminal window. However, the window sizes were _way_ too small to be usable.

Now I guess I need to find a way to set the window properties when "open"'ing a .command file..

you can make a term config file in a plist xml format, name it with a .term extension and terminal will handle it (either opening from finder or 'open' from clui).

from terminal choose file:save to save your window/session settings... the resulting xml has attributes not yet supported in terminal (like background images!)... there is also a shell string and an execute string... either of which could cover your needs (i think).

Originally posted by Casey
you can make a term config file in a plist xml format, name it with a .term extension and terminal will handle it (either opening from finder or 'open' from clui).

Actually, that does indeed look like it will work out for me. Thanks!

Back