Speaker Advice

twister

Howdy
For christmas i think i want new computer speakers. Mine kinda buzz when there is nothing playing. So heres my delema. I wanna spend around $100 and they need to have AV ports for my iPod. I was thinking about.

Bose MediaMate

or

Logitech Surround Sound System

Of course i've seen at Walmart a DVD/Surround Sound System for about $130. I have a DVD player but still that isn't a bad price.

So can someone help me out. What would be a good deal?

Thanks
Twister

I'd say: bose. if you don't really need the surround sound, that is.

bose's quality is well known. and the style looks okay to go with an iPod, doesn't it?

Originally posted by fryke
if you don't really need the surround sound, that is.

I can live without surround sound but if i can get it for the same price, why not? Thats where i can't decide. Bose is better quality though.

Twister

my personal opinion (i don't have any other people's available atm) is to rather buy good quality stereo speakers than lower quality surround.

good quality hardware is a pleasure to use, to touch, you know... like the iPod. although the iPod's sound may be more or less the same of a different MP3 player, the finish of the hardware makes it a very nice thing to have at hand...

they seem to be the only available bose computer stereo speakers right now (apart form the gamer's surround set), so i guess they must be good.

the 'more info' page on bose.com also has a picture that shows an old Mac. look at the mouse...

mi_mm_desk.jpg

I have a set of Cambridge SoundWorks, good quality and sound all round. However if I was buying I'd go for the Bose. You may as well buy the best quality that will satisfy your needs.

Get the Bose.....because they are less like computer speakers>>>>Avoid computer speakers as such as possible as even the best ones sound terriable.

You can even check out the speakers on display at a bose store. When i checked them out they sounded good but wasent loud enough for me. Go check em out. I recently bought a lifestyle 25(had a tread on it) and they have changed the way i listen to music. I love bose.

I recently went to a best buy and- the BOSE SUCK. I would not recomend them. go to monsoonpower.com and get some real speakers. Bose is good for stereo and dvd surround sound, even their headphones rock, but their computer speakers suck. Get something from MONSOON.

I have Boston Acoustics and they come with two satellites and a sub and they kick butt. The volume knob is easily adjustable from your desk--just reach over and turn it. I think the price is between $150-200.

if you can afford klipsch they're the best, period. i think he was asking about a $100 range, though.

Yeah, I know the range was $100, but sometimes you spend $50 more and you get speakers you can live with for many years instead of just "so-so" speakers.

I do agree too that most "computer" speakers are crappy. Because they just outsource the speakers from a factory overseas.

don't buy the bose mediamate.... what kind of bass responce can you get out of those? Just about any 100$ 2.1 speakers will do better than those bose speakers...
don't listen to anybody that wants you to spend 500$ on "computer" speakers or recivers... get a real stereo if you want that stuff...
however, harmon kardon makes the best 2.1 systems I heard for PC...
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...listing.asp&icompatid=&instock=0&refurbished=
or http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...listing.asp&icompatid=&instock=0&refurbished=

you will get some nice clean bass and clear highs out of the more expensive system, the less expensive system has some seriously punchy bass...

They don't need to be computer speakers. I can hook my powerbook up to almost anything with the right cord. The speakers however NEED to a/v inputs. So then i can run my DVD to them or hook up my comptuer or iPod or whatever i want.

Well the BOSE person i talked to this weekend said you could hook as many of those speakers i was looking at together and eventually make surround sound. So i could, over the years, slowly create a sourround sound set.

Twister

Go for the Logitech, I just got them a few weeks ago and they sound absolutly amazing. I got mine from tigerdirect.com for 79.99, don't know how much bestbuy has them for, but they are usually over priced. TigerDirect

Unless you get a very high quality Bose system with a sub, their sound is always 'hallow', it has no substience to it.

I'm so confused. But i have decided to take whatever they give me and then i can always return them for credit. That way i have more time to decide what i want. :)

Twister

Back