Special Characters in Shell

Fire

Registered
Apparently, tcsh, csh, sh, bash, zsh, etc don't allow me to input ANY special characters outside of the normal ASCII range (i.e. ü, ø, å, ß). I believe this would be referred to as ASCII 2, however I'm not sure.

Is there a shell available that I can install into OS X so that I am able to use all 255 ASCII character values without the whole shell going nuts everytime I paste something in there that's not A thru z?

Thanks a ton,
- Fire

That's a good question. Generally speaking, if you edit a file that has odd characters you'll see a set of two characters glommed together to represent it. Chances are the character encoding is Unicode, so that's a good place to start....

Thanks a bunch, slur. However, I'm still feeling a bit shakey on what you mean. I was trying to do some research on doing this in tcsh. I realize in a language like C (which is the base for the csh and tcsh shells), you can use something like "/a63" and it will represent the ascii value of 63 (I am not sure of the correct syntax at this moment, but that's close anyway).

Text encoding is rather new to me as well. I'm pretty sure we are dealing with UTF-8 when I'm doing this, but I'm not positive. I know you can find and use different shells that other people have created/modified that could possibly allow more characters or the C-syntax for implementing them.

- Fire

Back