Speculation: iMac widescreen

Koelling

I Think Different
If you don't like speculation or are gullible in general, leave now. This is a RUMOR thread :) so don't get your hopes up.

According to this Register article the iMac flatscreens will have an updated version soon with wide screen. For some reason that doesn't sit right with me.

I haven't heard any talk about new form factor for G5 but to me it seems logical that they would try to innovate along with the new speed boosts. What if the new powermac computers had these newly produced screens? Would that hinder expandability or form factor? Is there anyone who can guess (and draw up some of those hilarious prototype photos)

so let the guessing begin, but don't be disappointed when none it is true.

If Apple released a 17" iMac G4 at the current price point, I think they would sell many more than they have to date. For some reason (COST?), Apple always keeps the iMac one notch below "the standard" in screen size and graphics cards.

Originally posted by chemistry_geek
If Apple released a 17" iMac G4 at the current price point, I think they would sell many more than they have to date. For some reason (COST?), Apple always keeps the iMac one notch below "the standard" in screen size and graphics cards.
it may be that alot of people (mostly their real target area) doesn't use very high resolutions and graphics capabilities as we (err... you) use...

Apple should just use the new PowerBook G4 LCD for an iMac widescreen. The resolution is good, and since it's used across product lines, they can probably get it at a good price (bulk pricing). :)

the old tibook screen (1152*768) would be a good improvement for the iMac. although desktop lcds are different in lighting, the panels are the same ones. the old tibook panels should be cheap enough by now to be used in the iMac. however, i guess they could get a 1280*1024 type 17" tft for less money, as they are more widely used. i *always* thought the iMac's half-ball would look better (smaller) if a 17" screen would be used. i'd say this would only be for the 933 MHz Special Edition, the 867 MHz standard edition will still use the plain old 15" screen.

I still feel like the iMac is a consumer line computer. It always was and always will be despite how close the gap has recently come between the two.

But I wonder if Apple is trying to eliminate the gap? It seems like putting a bigger screen will make the differences (and price) almost the same. Then again if they make an all in one Power mac that will pull it down to the consumer level (assuming an all in one package like the iMac which will lessen expandability)

We know from reports from Quanta that Apple is getting these new screens, the question is where they put them?

Here in Japan there are already a number of wide aspect ratio flat screens for consumers from Sony, Fujitsu and maybe some others. They are not all-in-one machines but are sold as packages. Some have speakers built into the display.

Back