Speech Recognition

Brewster

Registered
Speech Recognition has been around for a while but it doesn't seem to get the recognition it deserves. I think it's really cool: I can play a game of chess without moving my hands, i can find out the date and time just by asking and i open, quit, and hide applications with my my voice. In OS X, i am really impressed with the speed at which it responds. How come no one (including Apple) really stresses how useful it is? I bet people buying their first mac have no idea that you can actually do that.

Also, that circle with the microphone is better than what they had in OS 9 but it still is pretty annoying and gets in the way. I know you can double click it to make it go in the dock but then you can't tell if its listening. My idea is to put it in the menu bar next to the volume thing so its there all the time and you can tell if its listening.

Speech recogintion will never become the main way people use their computers, but it is still really cool!

I haven't used speech recognition that much after I found out that my computers understood my wife better than me. :(

Another unsung great feature is text to speech, which I use on a daily basis on my systems. There are times when I just don't have time to read long articles or post because I need to be working on something else, so I let my system read it to me while I work. I also double check longer post, e-mails and documents by having my system read them back to me to make sure I didn't miss anything. In fact the reason I love TextEdit so much is that it can both spell check and read my text back to me, and is a pretty feature rich word processor to boot! :D I actually find I can go weeks (or longer) without using AppleWorks, TextEdit just covers all my bases.

Back