Speed comparison: 10.2 vs 10.3?

My son's 500 iBook screams compared with Jaguar he only has 384mb of ram so I would imagine with more it would be almost like a new machine. My 733 G4 feels so much faster it's hard to quantify I am just glad I upgraded.
It feels like it did when I was in love with OS 9. There are some bug's but we just work through them as they come up.

Neal :D

(tryed this yesterday but the server was naff)

No, he's enured to lawsuits, they roll off like water from a duck.

glbronze said:
Can someone with the latest beta of Panther tell me if there is any major speed difference in the new OS (faster or slower)?

Thanks!

One thing I think that really speeds things up is a completeerase/reinstall of the OS, which I normaly do. This time I decided to try an upgrade and while it worked the speed increases are modest. After an erase and re-install everything was screaming fast. I have also read where some password issues that drag over when doing an upgrade, so a complete erase and re-install is best in my opinion.

Also one side note, skip a classic install. I really think that 10 is ready for prime time and after using Panther for almost a week now I can fully say that you won't miss classic unless you have a really old program that uses it.

I just upgraded without a clean install and Panther is faster then Jaguar. Mainly because they sped up all the annoying pointless slow rolldown effects. The Save As window opens up faster in all apps, the finder in general is faster and snappier(still not as snappy as OS9), and the instant access drag and drop folders in the finder window make navigation way way faster.

I haven't noticed any speed increase in application launch times across the boards. Maybe I would have if I had done a clean install.

habilis said:
I just upgraded without a clean install and Panther is faster then Jaguar. Mainly because they sped up all the annoying pointless slow rolldown effects. The Save As window opens up faster in all apps, the finder in general is faster and snappier(still not as snappy as OS9), and the instant access drag and drop folders in the finder window make navigation way way faster.

I haven't noticed any speed increase in application launch times across the boards. Maybe I would have if I had done a clean install.

You may want to try and use the Disk Utility and Repair the permissions on the disk. I just did that for a customer and it made a world of difference. You should do this after any upgrade or install.

Panther is faster on G3 and on G4.

And Exposé is a genious trick.

But Classic didn't improve. That's still my major compalin: compatibility with older gaming software is not good.

chevy said:
Panther is faster on G3 and on G4.

And Exposé is a genious trick.

But Classic didn't improve. That's still my major compalin: compatibility with older gaming software is not good.

While I know alot of users still need classic I am reccomending to my clients to NOT install classic with Panther. Most everything has been converted to OS X now, with Quark being the holdout. Since this has happened we have changed all of our client's computers to warn before starting classic, so we can find any other holdouts that may be preventing our users from going with a pure OS X solution.

Just out of curosity what apps are you still needing classic for?

Games... old games that I don't want to buy again...
Quake I
Doom I and II
Duke Nukem
Nascar 1999
SimTown
Sim2000
and other similar...

chevy said:
Games... old games that I don't want to buy again...
Quake I
Doom I and II
Duke Nukem
Nascar 1999
SimTown
Sim2000
and other similar...

Yeah for those you would still need Classic. But I think that Omnigroup has a Quake for OS X for download. You still have to have it loaded but it allows you to play in OS X. I know they have one version of it anyway. You may want to look at getting a seond drive for booting into just 9 or partitioning out your single drive. That way if you wanted to play those you may have better luck, by booting back into 9. It's a pain, but it's the price I guess you have to pay for 9.

While most of the games you mentioned I have too, I have given in and realized like Jobs said that classic is dead. I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but I personaly just said screw it if they don't have an OS X version by now or a patch to run under 10 then I really don't need it/want it. But Your right I love those games too but it's somthing I'm willing to give up.

Also, under OS X their is a repair OS 9 disk permissions. Not sure what it does but you may want to look and try it for speed anyway.

Speed increase here, too. Opening folders with lots of files is so much faster, it almost feels like OS 9 now on my PowerBook.
As for the old games: That's the only reason I keep Classic. That's also the only reason I still use Virtual PC: good old DOS games from way back in the days when great games were defined by great gameplay and not by fancy graphics :D

I think your all missing the point. with an upgrade you use the same disk file system. with a clean install osx updated the disk format to the improved apple disk file system, with this optomized the load times will be greatly improved and optimized. well it's racing like a beast on my 1Ghz G4 imac, 1gig memory :)0

orbstah said:
I think your all missing the point. with an upgrade you use the same disk file system. with a clean install osx updated the disk format to the improved apple disk file system, with this optomized the load times will be greatly improved and optimized. well it's racing like a beast on my 1Ghz G4 imac, 1gig memory :)0

The file system didn't change. They just enabled an option called journaling on it. It was also available under 10.2.x. Panther turns it on by default so not sure of what your talking about here.

i'm upgrading from the first generation osx to panther. would i have problems with my apps such as photoshop, illustrator, and in design???

Back