Speed Up Videos downloaded via iTunes

Alpine Journey

Registered
Anyone know how to speed up movies downloaded via iTunes so they play at the correct speed? Movies don't sync with the sound correctly and pause a lot while playing. I've got an iBook G4 with OSX 10.3.9, 1GHZ Processor and 640 mb ddr sdram. Do I need to upgrade the ram to 1024mb? Or could my video card be going out? I use quicktime v. 7.5 to watch them. I can't seem to download any updates to quicktime even though newer versions are available.

I am able to download movies from other locations on the web and watch them just fine by using DIVX or similar programs.

Please help! Thanks

I think the limiting factor is probably your CPU. iTunes downloads are encoded in H.264, which is MUCH more CPU-intensive than Divx or other regular MPEG4 videos. My 1.25GHz G4 Mac Mini is borderline, too. Some H.264 movies play smoothly, some don't.

Hello Alpine Journey & welcome to the forums :)

Could you please try out a couple of things for me to see if they make a difference to the problem:

• Set the iMac monitor to play Thousands of colors instead of Millions. (Go to System Preferences ~> Display ~> Display tab, choose Thousands from the Colors popUp menu.)

• Can you play the movie using QuickTime? If you Ctrl-Click the movie in your iTunes Library and select "Show in Finder" or whatever it'll have for Mac OS 10.3.9, and when the Finder window springs open showing the highlighted file, Ctrl-Click on it and select "Open With ... QuickTime" If QuickTime doesn't show in the list, then choose 'Other' and navigate to your apps folder.

Let me know how it goes ....

It works just fine now! The quality of the movies is not as good as before but still much better than watching them in DivX format. Thanks for the solution! I'll reset back to original settings for optimal resolution once I get the upgraded memory installed.

Back