Speeding up Jaguar Boot time

Juxel

Registered
I use my TiBook at school for taking notes and doing various other things, but for the most part I just use it for Microsoft Word, iTunes, iCal, Internet Explorer, MSN Messenger, and Mail. Are there some unix processes that I can disable or anything that I can do to speed up the boot time? My current boot time is pretty typical, but I'd like to speed it up, even if I have to sacrifice other "features". Any advice would be appreciated.

-Juxel

You have a Titanium PowerBook G4. Just put it to sleep until you have to use it again. Not only does that drastically improve 'boot time', because you don' thave to boot the OS at all, no you also keep your applications and documents open at all times. If I were to shut down my PowerBook when I go to sleep, I guess I'd spend around 10 minutes to be up and working again, instead of just hitting a button or opening the TiBook's lid and remembering instantly what I was doing before I 'turned it off', because all the files I was working on are just there.

I suppose I should try that, how long would the battery last typically when it is in sleep mode? If I'm going to do that I would need it to last about 5 hours in "sleep" and then about another 2 of basic processes, think that would last? Also, is there anyway to do a "suspend to ram" kind of thing on a mac?

from what i've heard, sleep mode takes up hardly any battery power at all because the things that drain a battery are hard drive and the LCD backlight. sleep mode pretty much shuts everything off. 5 hours sleep + 2 hours work should be easy for the powerbook.

I'd test the 5 hour sleep time though... You can check the battery level by clicking the test button. (located on the battery itself).

The more lights that light up the more power your battery has.

I have not test the "total" discharge time on my TiBook yet... let me know what kind of times you get... I would be very interested to know how long it takes to discharge the battery.

I believe my iBook only loses a few percent battery charge per day.

I certainly don't worry about boot time anymore. Were it not for OS upgrades I would go months between restarts.

Cool... I'll have to start doing that... At least for the trip to work. Seems logical. It just worries me to have my machine "on" even if it's sleeping. I guess I just have to re-train my brain. :rolleyes:

One thing to consider when working with laptops/notebooks is that their hard drives are not as fast as desktops. Apple uses 7200RPM HD's in desktops whereas it now uses 4200 RPM HD's in laptops. Apple used to use 5400 RPM HD's in laptops/notebooks and recently decided to go with 4200 RPM HD's, saying that the new HD's save more power without much performance loss, which is true for the most part. From my experience, going from the stock 5400 RPM UltraATA HD to a 7200RPM UltraSCSI HD was a significant performance gain. Boot up times were lowered, applications launched faster, etc... you know the deal. I think Apple used the slower HD's to maintain their position of king of the mountain for laptops/notebooks with the longest battery life. Sure their new portables have high performance to power useage, but Apple had to cut power somewhere, and the HD seems to be the component took the power hit.

I tried keeping my laptop in sleep mode today, and it worked great. I took some notes about the usage, and I was shocked with what I found:

7am: Initial power up.
7am-8am: Used the laptop to type my English paper due first hour;) and I was playing mp3s with iTunes the whole time as well.
8am-8:25am: Walked to school with the laptop in my backpack in sleep mode.
8:25am-9:15am: Used it to make revisions to my paper and browse the net using the airport card.
9:15am-11am: Sleep mode again.
11am-1pm: Used it for more note taking and web browsing.
1pm-3pm: Sleep mode
3pm-Now (3:20pm): Using it to chat on MSN Messenger, check my e-mail, listen to music in iTunes and write this.

Battery power is at 56% still. So that's about 4.5 hours of use, plus about 4.5 hours in sleep mode (rough estimates) and I still have over half my battery left. Kick ass!

Back