Spinning beach ball/cursor

sumsugar

Registered
All has been groovy with my ibook and OSX. Yesterday however I installed Graphic converter and noticed that when I open the program I get the spinning lollipop. It does respond eventually, allows me to work in the program but then the spinning ball returns when i try to quit.
At first it was only with Graphic converter but then today it started with Appleworks 6.2.2.
I tried disk first aid and then ran prebinding on a whim. Did not help.

Strange thing is that my desktop system and the ibook are nearly identical in setup/software etc. Both running 10.1.2 and i have no issues with the desktop system.

What could be happening here.

-They've got machine guns in their jumblies.

ram maybe. how many other programs you have open. that dam gc that seems to be more trouble than it's worth at times. anything else that is different about them? mhz possibly? this is just a starter list.:)

I too am starting to see the beach ball from time to time. When clicking on a folder or volume I sometimes get a spinning cursor for about 5 seconds. Perhaps it has to do with directory fragmentation as mentioned in another thread. I posted a comment to Apple's OS X feedback page about this.

O.K., Here's the deal. After a whole day of reinstalling, tweaking, poking away I have solved the problem and stumbled across something weird. The 2 apps giving me greif prior to all of this were Appleworks ans Sherlock. Both would take forever to launch, run pathetically and then take forever to close. I force quit the classic environment and voila both apps performed flawlessly. I then restarted the classic environment and launched sherlock and appleworks and everything was still fine. Here is the weird part, if i reboot with classic set to launch at startup the problem comes back. If i reboot without classic set to start up and then launch classic manually there is no problem.
I have come to the conclusion that it must be an extension conflict in classic that only creeps out if classic is set to launch at start up and I have confirmed this by creating an even more slimmed down extension set for classic (OS 9.2.2 Base), relaunched with classic set to launch at start up and I am happy to say the problem is gone.
I am still working on which extension it might be but it makes me wonder if this bug could be the root of a lot of other problems like the one I had. I urge others to pursue this and see if you can find anything.

-They,ve got machine guns in their jumblies.

Back