Spooky new ethernet addresses

pds

Registered
I usually go about my business just using the automatic network settings on my macBook. But the other day, I went to set up a dummy address to have the macBook serve pages on a school network and found to my dismay that there are two ethernet adaptor (en1) AND (en2) that are not physically present - obviously. So what are they? could they be virtual adaptors from Parallels? In that case - why are there 2 and why are they active when Parallels is not running?

Or is it something else?

If your notebook has wireless then theres one ethernet port, the next is your wired ethernet and I'm not quite sure about the third

Their from parralels most likely. I have them from there.

Dont know why their active on your mac though. There are two because one is for internet and one is for the virtual network between the parralels OS and OSX.

@ supranatural - no - the airport card and the wired port are named "airport" and "built-in ethernet" in network prefs>network status

above I said the two virtuals were (en1) and (en2) but they are named 2 and 3, I guess that airport is en1. I only use XP for one program, and that only every month, so I have ethernet disabled on my virtual machine, so I don't know why they would be there.

I tried to delete them from network preferences, but they won't go away (only switch to disabled) On my mini running parallels, the ghost adaptors are there too - with similar addresses, so I'm going to pretend that that is the answer and turn off the paranoia alarm.

Back