Spotlight / iPhoto

rimawa

Registered
Hi there.

Recently got Tiger, and am surprised to find that apparently Spotlight doesn't work with the names of photos in iPhoto. :eek:

If you name a picture outside of iPhoto (ie. physically change the filename in Finder) then it will recognise it, but if you name the picture in iPhoto (which is surely what would be expected if that is where your Photo library resides), then Spotlight will not pull out your pics.

Anyone else experienced this or have any ideas of a way round it?

Yours bemusedly!

Rich

I just tried and it works here...

But you have to quit iPhoto before Spotlight can find the new name.

Really? Did you change the name in iPhoto, in the dialogue box on the left of the screen?
It definitely doesn't work on my machine. I have quit the program many times?

How odd...? I wonder why this could be.

Do you get MacTV? either through PodCast or I think the other is DTV. Today showed showed a one minute tip on how to add key words onto a photo in iPhoto. I tried that with a word, quit iPhoto and spotlight brought up the photo from the keyword I put onto the photo, pretty cool

To put a keyword in, incase you didn't see it,

under the view menu, in iphoto, have Keywords ticked

In preferences you can add your own keyword

select one or many photos, under photo menu select get info and tick the keyword you want

Like I said, spotlight found that keyword, does this work for you rimawa?

rimawa said:
Really? Did you change the name in iPhoto, in the dialogue box on the left of the screen?
It definitely doesn't work on my machine. I have quit the program many times?

How odd...? I wonder why this could be.
Yes in the 'Information' box, down-left corner, when I change the 'title', I can find it in SpotLight.

iPhoto 5.0.4 in OS X 10.4.3

sirstaunch said:
Do you get MacTV? either through PodCast or I think the other is DTV. Today showed showed a one minute tip on how to add key words onto a photo in iPhoto. I tried that with a word, quit iPhoto and spotlight brought up the photo from the keyword I put onto the photo, pretty cool

To put a keyword in, incase you didn't see it,

under the view menu, in iphoto, have Keywords ticked

In preferences you can add your own keyword

select one or many photos, under photo menu select get info and tick the keyword you want

Like I said, spotlight found that keyword, does this work for you rimawa?
I don't get MacTV, but do use keywords on iPhoto.
None of these keywords, or photo names, come up in Spotlight. I have version 4 of iPhoto, and v.10.4.3 of OSX. Help!

Hm... That's how I change my photo names, in the dialogue box on the iPhoto screen. But Spotlight doesn't find it.
I have iPhoto v4, and 10.4.3 of Tiger. I heard that v5 of iPhoto was slow and unreliable, so didn't see the point in upgrading.
How odd.

Back