Spotlight on mounted server drives

dbyrne

Registered
Does spotlight index mounted OSX Server volumes? I noticed it didn't automatically index it and then i noticed i couldn't 'exclude' it from being indexed so i'm assuming it doesn't recognise this kind of voulme?

You can index them manually if you want to, just as you can index system files and hidden files manually. It isn't recommended though, for different reasons. I'll state the reasons first, and if you don't care, you can skip to the end to get the "instructions" on how to do it manually. :D

Remote volumes: contents on these can change without your knowledge or intervention. Other users can change the contents of files, and add or delete files at anytime, and you might not have control over that. To keep the index up to date would require Spotlight to constantly monitor the remote volume, giving you a severe performance degradation on your system.

System and hidden files: System files change a lot. Logs, preferences, caches etc change all the time. To index them every time they change could lead to big performance hits. If you want to index the hidden files, pick the ones that don't change much, e.g. the man pages. Avoid directories and hierarchies that contain preferences, logs and caches that change all the time.

How to force indexing: start Terminal and use the "mdutil" command. Try "man mdutil" and you'll get a short list of options to use with the command. That'll take care of the remote volumes, and this was the easy part.

A more tiresome approach has to be taken when it comes to the hidden files and system files. For that I refer to a hint on MacOSXHints:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2005050222125145&query=spotlight

Finally, my advice on this: don't. Not unless the remote volume is on your own server at home, where noone but you add, change or delete files.

Because Spotlight keeps it's index(es) on the volume that's indexed, could you get a server to index the volume (because it's got quicker access, instant knowledge of change) and then search in that index from Spotlight on a client??

Ahhhh i hope so. I am going to update my server to 10.4 too... maybe Spotlight on my clients will be smart enough to look at the Network Volumes index info. here's hoping. Otherwise spotlight is pretty much a no goer for me!

3 people are accessing this server Volume all day everyday. Changes would be constant. its a pity it can't index in the evening but i guess that would negate the whole point of spotlight. Hmmm funny how such a good new feature looses its appeal in a network environment. Maybe Pengu's comment will work! Thanks.

Spotlight saves its database in /.Spotlight-V100. That's right, it's in the root folder. You normally don't have access to that on a server, so your Spotlight won't reach it.

This actually isn't all bad though. If you have access to the Spotlight database on the server, others can gain at least partial access to documents you don't want them to know about. Repeated searches with variating query content can reveal more information about the contents of documents than most people realise.

What we probably want is a separate server process, that Spotlight can connect to (e.g. via Bonjour), and where the user privileges are honored in the search results.

I heard Mac OS X Server has Spotlight disabled per default. I'm not yet sure as of now _why_ that is, but more and more, I think I should disable it on my machine (client version, of course) as well.
I think Apple has really done a bad job explaining Spotlight, how it works, how you're intended to use it etc. It's meant to be at the core of the system, invisibly - and it should simply _give_ you the files/mails/SystemPreferences you're looking for, but for many users, Spotlight in 10.4 and 10.4.1 has been a rather bad experience. Doesn't fully index (what, I don't find _all_ my relevant files?) for some, takes up 100% CPU for others, doesn't find files by name easily/correctly... Maybe Apple should've kept Spotlight to themselves for another few months, finish the work on it in the background and make Tiger a smaller update. Ooh. Done ranting. Sorry...

Good rant. I'm feeling the same. For me Spotlight is useless as i don't keep anything on my local drives except for standard system stuff which i don't normally need to search.

Back