SPOTLIGHT - Using it better?

TuckerdogAVL

Registered
I have a couple questions regarding Spotlight.

1. When I do a search, I get about five or so relevant hits in images, docs, and so forth. But when I click show all, I expect it to be just the "SHOW ALL" that is relevant, not, well show all. Is there either a way to increase the number of items that show up on the first click? Or, is there away to keep the "Show all" relevant?

2. When doing a "Show all" I get a long string of MBOX documents, for example...which quick look doesn't reveal, but a click to open usually reveals a text doc. Can these files be deleted for space? Or, if I delete the MBOX doc am I also deleting that word doc or whatever type doc that is?

3. Same goes for all those Mail messages. Can I just highlight all those mail messages while I'm in there and delete them If I"m not saving them for whatever reason? (I have IM vs POP mail so I'm probably not deleting off the server anyway).

4. What is an Adobe Action Script document?

I'd be careful messing with MBOX files.

Also you'd be well advised to manage-delete mail messages from within your mail application, this way the mail app can keep track of messages and not end up with a corrupted database.

Thank you. That helps a lot. So, if I delete from the mail app then those will disappear from the spotlight search?

Thank you. That helps a lot. So, if I delete from the mail app then those will disappear from the spotlight search?

Not until you also 'Empty' the mail apps Trash folder.

Not knowing which version of OS X you are using, I'm guessing here, but if I right click my mail Trash icon it is called 'Erase deleted messages'.

Also, in 'System Preferences' under 'Spotlight' there is a 'Privacy' tab where you can add pretty much anything such as Folders etc that you do not want Spotlight to index.
This is a good way to cut down on a lot of the 'fluff'.

Back