Spread the Music

Is it possible to not only play music from one airport express but to two or more at the same time? I have two express stations each hooked up to different stereos, and I would like to play music from both at the same time. Is this not possible?

Also, is it possible to play music from your mac AND the express station at the same time?

Finally, is it possible to play your DVD sound through the express station (as does itunes)?

If no is the answer to any of these questions, why not!?

Oh, and one more thing. Why can't Airtunes be relayed from one express to the other. If my mac is too far from the living room, but is in good range of the kitchen, then i still can't send my music to the living room. What's up with that? You can relay internet connection but you can't relay airtunes? Not cool.

No, its not possible. Airtunes works by coding whatever is playing in iTunes using ALC (Apple Lossless Codec), encrypting it, and sending it to the Airport Express. The AE then has to decrypt it, decode it, and play it. The entire process can cause a delay of up to one second from the source music to the stereo.

As a result, AirTunes cannot be used for DVDs or movies because the sound would not match the picture. It also can't be sent to more than one AE at a time, because they'd be out of sync by a fraction of a second and would sound awful!

that's good enough for me. still think it should be done though. if each AE is identical, why couldn't the computer just send the same signal to both at the same time, causing no delay?

Back