springloaded folders in 10.2?!

I REALLY miss labels too. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Hopefully Apple has gotten enough requests that it's back in 10.2

Oh, just a slightly off-topic post... but valid to 10.2.

Apparently 10.2 is the 'get it all right' update, and adding 64-bit support to the OS. This is not to say you need 10.2 and compatible apps to run things on a G5, it is just that you can take advantage of the 64-bit integer units if you make it 64-bit aware. The reason being: the G5 is 32-bit compatible at FULL SPEED. I bet Apple also has some Altivec + 64-bit optimizations that will make the graphics real purty on a G5 system.

Overall, 10.1.x seem to be bug-squash updates. 10.1.2 is rather nice, stable, and a boatload of bugs have been fixed. 10.2 is for introducing wholy new bugs, and 'getting it right' on features. Such as re-introducing spring loaded folders, and tweaking the current feature set to make it more user-friendly. 10.1 did a fair job of this, but I think 10.2 will be the one to essentially 'freeze' the core design and core feature set for the 10.x series. I bet the next big feature introduction will be with 11.

(rambling like an odd person, like always)

... that www.thinksecret.com just posted an article on OS X 10.2 with screenshots, and a couple of them are similar to the ones in the package referenced here, especially the Universal Access pictures and the Get Info toolbar button. It seems that these pictures are probably reliable, including the one about spring-loaded folders.

God damnit, I'm STILL waiting for OS X 10.1.2, and now OS X 10.2 is tantalizing me! :mad:

Well, it is true that 10.1.2 is nothing to sneeze at, but unless you have a bug that needs squashing, there isn't much to wait for. Other than the long (~100) list of bugs squashed, there isn't much else. A little more stability, but if you are already fairly panic-proof, you won't notice it. So, 10.2 is the thing to be clamoring for, not any of the 10.1.x bugfixes (unless you are still plagued with a certain bug Apple is in the process of fixing)...

BTW, the initial 10.1.2 build is 5P28, and works okay, the second is 5P48, BUT, one person who installed it had some major issues with one of the frameworks it updates. Ew.

Spring loaded folders are back - that's what I call Xmas gift!!! But what lures me most is that lusty "Always Open folders in a new window" - old Classic habits, you know ;)))

neuroman: Just go to the Finder Preferences in OS X 10.1 (I believe it was added only in OS X 10.1) and check the box. It's there already, just waiting for you. :)

Also, the reason I am waiting for OS X 10.1.2 is that Mail will have SSL support, so I can FINALLY DITCH OUTLOOK EXPRESS. Gosh am I waiting for that day!

I would also recommend all of you to go to www.appleturns.com and read the first post of today's episode, and then vote in today's poll. :D

"Sproing. Sproing. Sproing." Only 6 more months! ;)

Back