Sprint PCS Wireless Internet Opinions.

namaste

Registered
I've been shopping around for some wireless internet access for my TiBook and would like to hear any users experiences with SprintPCS or alternate services. Has anyone used the sprintPCS PCMCIA modem card? I don't mind hooking up the phone to the book but I would like the cleaner implementation of the PC card.

If you're using a different service, how do you feel about it? Is there a provider that has better mac service?

I was just about to do that too, but may wait a couple of months. SprintPCS is on the brink of rolling out CDMA2000 service, which has busrt bit rates upto 144kbs (G2.5), muuuuch better than the 14k4 or so you'll get from Sprints current network.

I used to do this with a Nokia 8890 on Cingular wireless via infrared and it works fine, albeit very slow (9k6). I also used to use a Ricochet modem on OS9 (didn't work on OSX at the time) - but they went belly up (although it looks like there coming back soon !) Roll on 200kbs !

you certainly won't be getting 144k out of sprints network. typical rates for the 2.5G 1x networks are more like 25-40kbps, which is way better than 9.6, but far from the hype.

CDMA 2000 can burst to 144kbs, verizon rolled this out already but have limited information on field tests.

Some of my friends in Europe have GPRS phones, also with an "advertised" 2.5G data rate, but mostly are getting 32kbs when they sit right under the transmitters.

I'll be really interested to see how sprint do on this, I believe that sprint do not have a massively oversubscribed network, unlike Cingular etc.

Back