Square instead of cursor/pointer

DCinDC

Registered
I'm running OS X 10.4.11 on a 400 MHz PowerPC G4 desktop.

The cursor shows up as a strange square (sometimes rectangle) instead of a pointer arrow. It sometimes changes color (usually very light) and sometimes changes to a horizontal rectangle. The actual pointing function appears to reside in the upperleft corner, so I have some idea where to click, but I need more accuracy than this and it is annoying as heck.

I've tried swapping in a different mouse (optical vs. roller mouse), swapping in another keyboard, even hooking up a different size/brand of monitor -- all to no avail.

This is NOT the "show preview rectangle when zoomed out" option in Universal Access. This rectangle is fuzzy, seems to have some unidentifiable graphic content, and changes shape/color at times, Mostly, it is white with a series of light blue horizontal slashes across its middle.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening, or what I might try to get the pointer back permanently?

This problem was solved with guidance from a Macosx.com technician.

I did a complete erase of the OS (the last installation was recent enough I didn't fear losing settings) and a fresh install.

Cursor appears as a normal arrow/pointer now.

Its The Video Card Geforce2. Its Too Old For Any Updates. Theres No Firmware For It Any More For Newer Os X
The Older Ati Was Worse With This Issue.

Back