SSH login

Originally posted by fintler
is the shell name listed in 'nidump passwd .|grep deraven|awk -F: '{print $7}'' in /etc/shells?

(btw..those are all single quotes)

Yep. I'm using tcsh.

Again, it's not problem until I log out locally. After that, I need to restart sshd for it to work again.

Originally posted by deraven
Here's what's in the log:

May 28 22:37:04 localhost sshd[4629]: input_userauth_request: illegal user deraven
May 28 22:37:04 localhost sshd[4629]: Failed none for illegal user deraven from 192.168.1.2 por
t 50008 ssh2
Again, this all goes away if I restart sshd.
Yup, that's the error I've seen before. My current working theory is sshd somehow loses its ability to speak to lookupd to find the user information. Why logging out of a loginwindow session causes this to occur, I don't know yet...

Best bet for now is to make sure Apple knows.

I have this very same problem on my iBook. I thought it came with 10.1.5 but, as this thread shows, it was already present in 10.1.4.

I'm connecting from my linux box (192.168.1.2) that doesn't have a valid dns name. But this shouldn't matter, right?

I noticed that if I reboot with sshd already running (i.e., sshd will be started before anyone logs in, when the mac is starting up) ssh logins work as they should, even if a user logs in at the Macintosh and then logs out.

Maybe this has been present all the way from the 10.0.x days but no one noticed it... :-(

Originally posted by lethe

you do not have to log in to the console to use top. you can run it from terminal.app. also the process viewer provides a nice frontend to that command

Sure! But I meant that so that you can test to see that the daemons are running while a user is logged out...which was mentioned so I'm keeping my mouth shut.

Back