ssh problems

Grecy

Registered
I'm on a LAN here at uni, and need to ssh into a particular box that is running Red Hat 7.2

When I try to ssh to the linux box in question
(ssh - l username server) I get the error:
ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host.

I assume this is a problem with the server and not me (I can ssh to other uni boxes), so I went to see the network admins. They were all like..."ummm, I dunno... I'll have a look " so I was hoping one of you guys might know something so I could tell them what is going on.

thanks guys

-Dan

... but SSH supports various encryption methods. You can force your client to use a particular version ... perhaps you could try that. (Check the man page for how to do it ... can't remember it off by heart :))

C

as i'm sure you know, ssh exists as both a client and a server. if the remote machine (running redhat 7.x) does not have the SSH server running, that might be a good start.

also, if SSH server is running, and port 22 is open for the remote host, it might be a simple case of lack-of-permission to ssh to the remote host, (whether you';re limited by IP, or something else). that might be something to ask about when you next talk to the admins.

Back