ssh & sftp

chale

Registered
I am trying to load files to a secure server that supports ssh/sftp. Can I run a generic sftp program such as Transmit, MacSFTP, or Gideon without turning on SSH or copying any kind of a key to the server? If this has to be done, how would I do this since I don't run the server?

chale, you can ssh & sftp without having to turn on "Remote Login" (which enables your built in SSH server) via Sharing in the Preferences. the ssh/sftp client will take care of auto-negotiating a key from the server you're contacting. you might be prompted if you want to accept such a key from the server, in which case you click yes/ok.
if you're looking for a good SFTP client, i HIGHLY RECOMMEND Fugu. it's a graphical client utilizes the built in SFTP client in the system. if you don't want to pay for Transmit or MacSFTP, then Fugu is definitely the way to go.

I am vaguely familiar with fugu, and noticed that it has ability to create a ssh tunnel and use sftp. So with fugu, just use sftp and ignore creating the ssh tunnel?

right on

i use fugu and it works a treat!! Just like a regular ftp client - just secure (well duh...!)

Back