starcraft on OSX

Tapp_darden

Registered
I have both StarCraft and BroodWar. I Noticed that the upgrade for BW OSX said that I needed SC osx upgrade. So I downloaded the SC upgrade. I then booted up in OS9 and installed SC and BR. I moved the carbonized SC to the SC folder per instructions. I then booted into X and ran SC I noticed that BW started right up with out classic loading...
my question is, should i dl the BR carbonized version and install it? if not, then why is there a BW carbonized version when the starcraft version works fine?

Tapp Darden

Don't know exactly, save to say that I just installed the BW (Carbon) upgrade and not the starcraft one.... that is after I installed SC and BW from the cd's in classic.

I noticed that alot of the files are exactly the same, main diffrence would be the broodwar specific files so you might want to go ahead and install the BW (Carbon) upgrade just to make sure nothing is going to bite you in the middle of a b.net game ;)

LordOphidian, are you sure you installed them in Classic? You didn't reboot into OS 9 to install the pre OS X versions of the game? In my many tries to install, I finally realized it wouldn't do it through Classic, I had to boot into 9.

Tapp_darden, you asked, "why is there a BW carbonized version when the starcraft version works fine?". Answer is because it's the expansion pack. Just like in OS 9, you'll need to install it if you wanna play with the expansion pack features.

>Just like in OS 9, you'll need to install it if >you wanna play with the expansion pack features.

I have the expansion pack installed and it works fine in MacOS X. The thing is that I installed only the star craft carbonized version NOT the expansion pack carbonized version. and it works fine. I played BNet today playing BW. I had all of the extra units and features. My point is, that I never DL the carbonized expansion. Just the original.
It doesn't seem to matter which upgrade you DL. they both work. has nobody else noticed this?
Just wondering.

Im sure I installed in classic... if you read the readme that came with the upgrades they point you to an installer you can download to install from classic.

The broodwar installer works fine in classic, but the SC one doesn't, that is why you need to download the new SC installer and run it instead.

well...
I am on the mac of a friend with os 10.2.3 and want to install sc+bw, btu i am not a mac person *duck*
i tried the installer: Starcraft Installer 1.05-B
but it didnt work...
the cd does not start at all!!!
and to restart in os 9 is not possible (says my friend) so is there a newer installer or any other oppurtunity to get the game installed at least???
thx to everybody helping

Back