Start up disk

jill

Registered
In system prefs I select OS 10.0.4 as my start up. Then I quit prefs. When I open prefs again, 9.2.1 is selected. If I restart with 9.2.1 selected, I am back in OS 9.2.1. I have to reinstall 10.0.3 etc to get back to OS 10. Basically Ileave my computer running 24/7 because I will loose OS X if I do not select OS X from prefs EVERY time before shutdown.

Also I have a cable modem and have been able to download @ 200KB/s in 9.2.1 (not classic), but only get 20KB/s max in 10.0.4.

strange

thats really strange , I think that the saving to 9.2.1 thing might be a user privledge problem but the only getting 20kbs on downloads and such might be the site you download from or your browser.I will get back to you on this ok
Trik

Using sys prefs, I am led to believe that I have chosen 10 as my startup. If I change prefs from another user, it prompts me for password, and then allow the selection of 10 as the start up. Nevertheless, once I quit prefs and then reopen prefs startup again, there is... OS 9!!! Interestingly, it does not matter if sys prefs is on or off when I restart, as long as I select X to startup. Once, after install, I looked in sysprefs and OS 9 was selected. Thinking nothing of it, and never selecting 10 during that login, I restarted and ended up in OS 9. This is a 1 hour reinstall 10.0.3, download 10.0.4, etc mess. I was thinking of partitioning so that I could restart with option held down and select my startup disk (and therefore OS). This would fix my printing problem in OS 10 (I can't) with my serial Epson Photo EX.

Back