Starting a Mac G5 remotely?

GEPPERT

Registered
We have a MAC G5 D2G located in a room away from the users. We are using an iKey keyboard and VGA monitors. Is there anyway to do a remote cold start? The power button on the iKey previously started the G4's but not the G5's (apparently Apple disabled that function due to the USB spec). Since we are not using Flat Panels we now have no way to start the Mac if the power goes out or a user shuts down the computer etc. The users (students) cannot have access to the physical machine.

Any solutions out there .... ???

did you ever try wake-on-lan? I am not sure how this really works, but it's a feature. I suppose a ping to the sleeping Mac should wake it up. However, I don't know how it reacts when the router or hub is sending alive pings. Just an idea.

I dont know of anyway to remotely start a machine, but what you can do is
to let the computer sleep when not in use and set up the user accounts as such that the Sleep, Restart and Shutdown buttons are hidden(in system preference> users> login option) . As for power failures, you can set the G5 to automatically restart after a power failure ( System Preference>Energy Saver>Options). Hope this helps.

Back