Starting Home Designer

Langley

Registered
Hello all,

While I'm at university I do a fair few home graphic design jobs for money. It has got to the point where I have to much work.

I have ALL the software and equipment...but my question for all those self employed designers out there are what are some things I should consider when starting this business that may help me?

ThanX

Let me know how you got so much work! I wouldn't mind doing my own business as well, it's just the consistent flow of work is hard to come by.

In every freelance job, or any other job for that matter, organization is the key. If you are billing by the hour, get a billing program--there are some great ones out there. Start an actual manila folder for each job with a piece of paper stapled to each where you can write job notes. That way you can't lose track of one job while you are sidetracked on another.

Even more importantly, make sure you use your computer to its best potential. I like to start job folders by name, and with a number if possible from your invoice (used to start the job.) Hopefully you get 1/3 or 1/2 of the money up front and have a "break" clause that give you money if the job is discontinued suddenly. The digital folder should have a BUJIC (back up just in case), Working Assembly (for all the .psd files and notes you take), hi res (tifs, printables), lo res (jpgs, etc.) and sometimes "illustrator" for those vector files. Back up all your files as much as you can, especially quarks. I always have two of whatever I am working on as well as saving my revision files. Archive your old jobs to cd and use Disk Wizard to keep track of them. Name your cds ARCHIVE001_(insert job title here).

hope this helps! Cheers!

Almost forgot. Save all your receipts for tax deductions at the end of the year. Very important one. You also will have to file as an "independent contractor" which means a 1099 form. Check with tax accountant for specifics.

My work is good but cheap......

I use my friends, family and ex-clients to give me a plug to anyone when-ever they can which is fine for them.

I'm not a snob......any job is good for me as It my lead to something better....word of mouth again.

Use friends buisness to get to other clients. For exampl my friend is a DJ, I did a CD and Web/Identity for him and through that I spoke to his DJ friends...and before you know it you have five jobs!

And I live in Australia;)

Back