Startup Disks

For starters, the PB190 maxes out at OS8.1, so you really shouldn't
ask about it in an OSX forum.

To answer your question: You can't make a Mac disk on Dell.

To maybe help: I have an OS8.0 startup disk: Apple's "Disk Tools
for 68K Macs." You have a 68LC040 processor. The "LC" variants
were strange, and it may not work on the 190.

If you'd like, PM me your snail mail address, and I'll send you a copy.

:) ... I'm smiling coz of the 68LC040 reference and the "may not work". The PB 190 runs 7.5.x to 8.1, so 8.0 should work just fine. The 68LC040 processor wasn't "strange", it just doesn't have that math coprocessor thingie. It should boot that disk just fine. But: You'll want a full installation package for that PowerBook, not just an emergency boot disk. Might find OS 8 installation disks on eBay. Or: Just go to an Apple dealer and kindly ask for the original system disks. Also: You'll find System 7.5.3 for free on the net somewhere and can update that for free to 7.5.5.

Of course you'll have to find someone with a Mac to actually download and copy those disk images... There _should_ be some friend with a Mac in your neighbourhood, right?

From my link above;

1.1.6 - How can I get an OS on a Mac using only my PC? It's reasonably common that someone gets an old used Mac and it has no operating system on it. Often, these people don't have anything other than a PC to access the Internet. As long as your Mac is an SE FDHD or Mac IIx or higher, you can use these directions compiled by Alex Harrington (aka "fastkeys") to get that Mac up and running. Due to irreconcilable physical differences in the floppy drives of PCs and Macs, a Mac 128, 512, Plus, original SE, or un-upgraded II cannot use this procedure. If you have one of these, you'll need to get a Mac that can read PC floppies or find someone willing to make floppies for you.

You'll need your PC (running Win 9x or NT), some error-free 1.4MB floppies, and a good deal of patience. Download the following: (continued on link)

System_7.5_Version_7.5.3

Back