startup progress on Desktop

sirstaunch

Registered
Weird thing, but my screensaver locked up out of the blue, it wouldn't let me access my screen no matter what I did. I ended up powering down the computer with the power button then did a startup.

All begun well except, for some strange reason, the startup progrees bar remained on my desktop (see pic)
http://static.flickr.com/47/10966246...0f88ff.jpg?v=0

I did a permision repair and made no diff, so I booted off the OS DVD and ran Disk Repair. It did a couple of repairs, such as this is 15 should be 16 or something, then fixed a bad block. All is well now, thank gawd.

But I wondered why out of the blue the harddisk went funny? I leave my computer on 24/7 and pretty sure last restart was on the 10.4.5 update, I always put my machine to sleep.

My brother and his son have been here with their PC laptops and we networked for a couple of hours and I did close the ports probably the nextday. But I couldn't imagine any disk damage from that.

How ever on the eMac I have the adaptor that I'm able to plug my screen into my TV, maybe damage happened when I plugged this in while the eMac was running, which plugging that in changes the screen resolution.

I also had Classic running which may be a cause in the screen change, maybe?

But I do hope this is not the start of a bad drive, the eMac is only about 8 months old and knowing my luck, probably die right after the warranty LOL

Not asking for any help at this point but if you have anything you may like to add, feel free

Back