Startup time

steven_lufc

Registered
I'm running 7b85 on a 600mhz G3 iMac and am extremely impressed with the startup time. From power on to log-in screen is less than 30 secs, and from password to finder less than 10secs. On a good day Jaguar would take anything up to 3mins in total. The whole OS in general seems much zippier on my relatively slow mac.

Anyone else impressed by this on slow Macs??

panther on my 400 pismo is at least 20x faster than 10.2.6 on the pismo. its crazy. startup time used to be around 3-4 mins. now its between 1 and 2.

On a 400 MHz iMac DV it took exactly a minute from power on to the Finder (with autologin). Pretty impressive. I've also noted that application launch times are significantly faster on Panther.

39 seconds on 7B53 with autologin from gray screen to Konfabulator launch. Nice. ;) I have yet to time it on the latest build though.

around 30-35 secs from launch till i finder is launched. im workin on a 15 inch Tipowerbook 1ghz and BUT im bootin up from an external firewire400 hard disk (i guess that affects boot time)

Wow, I wonder what Panther will be able to do for my li'l ol' iMac. I wonder if I have enough space to install it though, probably not.

My G5 will start up in 10 seconds flat because that's where Macs will be at when I finally get it.

No, I don't EVER shut down. I restart sometimes (rarely, thanks to X) but I never shut down :D
My Dad makes up shut down the stupid iMac though (to "save electricity") :rolleyes:.

i never shutdown. i might restart occasionally when updating through software update. but i never shutdown my mac :p

I too never shut down my iMac, only restarting if an installation or upgrade requires it. My longest period of uptime was approx 4mths.

Dlloyd, in relation to saving electricity heres a quote from MacFormat UK mag:

"Most people turn their Macs off before they go to bed or leave the office. They needn't bother: from an environmental point of view there's almost no difference between shutting your Mac down and letting it sleep. PowerMacs consume 5W in sleep mode, and 3W when they're switched off.
Power is still going through the transformer inside the machine waiting for you to prod the power button on the front of your Mac. Only when you turn your machine off at the wall does consumption drop to zero. In reality, though, three watts is minuscule: TVs gobble up more power when they're on stand-by than your Mac does when it's crunching its way through Photoshop.
PowerMac G4s use less than 45W when they're switched on, which means they cost $10 (£6) a year to run. Apple reckons that while most Energy Star compliant PCs use around $24 (£15) of electricity a year. PCs use much more power because they aren't designed to minimise wastage through noise and heat. Many even have to keep their noisy fans running in sleep mode because their manufacturers haven't paid as much attention as Apple to heat dissipation.
Interestingly, G4 machines use less energy when you're not tugging hard on the reins.
"The Power PC G4 processor was designed to consume less energy during less intensive operations," says a document on Apple's Website. "For example, the system requires 2 Watts for a typical word-processing user, wheras complex vector operations requiring computations uses 15W." Macs also calculate statistical usage patterns for the hard drive, screen and keyboard to work out when to shut them down after inactivity. "These are more aggressively programmed depending on whether this is plugged into AC power or a battery."

It costs $10 (£6) to leave your Mac on 24/7 for a year. Amazing :)

Ikoiko: It should, I don't see why not. It has USB built-in, which is why Panther won't run on beige G3's like the one I'm on right now.

Steven: I'll have to tell that to my parents about why we should leave the computer on, and why they shouldn't worry about me leaving my iMac on. :)

From when the grey screen first appears to Finder loaded and ready for business

approx. 40 seconds

Not, bad considering Jaguar boot time was at least two minutes.

iMac DV+
450 MHz
512 MB RAM

The original iMac works if you load it up with memory it is also really usable.
128 MB is required to run panther, if you have that it will work, if you have more it is much better then Jaguar if you have 128 better stick to Jaguar on such a machine because it will work "OK".
I know form experience I have two of those oldies one with 128 MB and one with 160.
I installed panther B74 on both and the one with 160 MB runs fine and is on B85 now.
The one with 128 is now running 10.2 and MacOS 9 which is really fast on it (but where is my dock ;-).

COOL! Finally we are catching up with one of XP's final major 'one ups' on OS X!!

7B85 takes about 50 seconds on my Dual 450 G4...

but my 2.4GHz P4 XP machines take about 15 seconds to boot from the bios..:eek:

I guess it's time to get one of them new dual 2 giggers..hehe.;)

Back