stay with 10.3.9 or update to 10.4

Phillips

Registered
I would like some input as to whether to stay with 10.3.9 or update to 10.4?
Seems that more and more software has 10.4 as the mim. requirements

Currently using a B&W G3
450 mhz
1 GB ram
DVD Player

This depends on whether you want compatibility (Tiger) or speed (Panther). In my experience, Panther is faster on G3s, but Tiger isn't too bad, especially with dashboard and spotlight turned off. Depending on your hard drive size, you could archive and install, to see if you want to keep Tiger or revert.

Phillips:

Contrary to popular belief, Tiger runs better than Panther on my Pismo, even before it was upgraded from 400 MHz to G4/550. On my wife's Pismo 500 MHz we run Tiger without a single hiccup.

Your B/W with the 450 MHz processor will be fine. The two things that make a great deal of difference are 1)Plenty of RAM. Your computer will support 1 GB of PC100 3.3v, unbuffered, 8-byte, non-parity 168-pin SDRAM in 4 slots. I recommend that you max it out. 2)Adequate available capacity. Your computer came with a 12 GB HDD. I recommend that you swap it out for a larger HDD, if you have not already done so.

Tiger is no longer available at the Apple Store but is still available for $129 by calling Apple Phone Sales 1-800-692-7753. Panther is no longer available directly from Apple, but you can find the Full Retail Version of Panther or Tiger, if you shop carefully, at online outlets like FastMac Retail $159; CDs $179, HardcoreMac Retail $199, CDs $249, AllMac Retail $149, CDs $179, etc. If you know what you are looking for, read all documentation carefully and ask questions of the seller, you may be able to get Leopard at eBay, Tiger on eBay or Panther on eBay.

Good luck.

cak

I would like some input as to whether to stay with 10.3.9 or update to 10.4?
Seems that more and more software has 10.4 as the min. requirements
Currently using a B&W G3, 450 mhz, 1 GB ram

For a G3, I'd stick with Panther. Having said that, you have heaps of RAM so Tiger should operate smoothly enough, but rather more slowly than Panther. Remember too, in reference to your comment about modern apps requiring Tiger or later, the writers of the software are probably thinking in terms of G4 or G5 processor computers.

At a client's insistence (must have what the others are talking about y'know) I recently upgraded an iMac G3 450 to Tiger, and it struggled. An increase in RAM helped but it didn't do a lot for the speed. Further, trying to operate with more than 2, possibly 3 apps open, meant some long waits.

Having worked with several models of Mac in the G3, G4 and G5 classes, I wouldn't operate Tiger with anything less than a G4, and Quicksilver or later at that!

Tiger should operate smoothly enough, but rather more slowly than Panther.
This is a myth. As I posted earlier, I have been running Tiger on my Pismos (PowerBook G3 Firewire) for years and is runs much better than Panther. There is no evidence to support the contention that Tiger does not run well on G3 machines.

I use this Pismo an average of five hours everyday, seven days a week. I run Tiger on it. My wife's Pismo runs Tiger. My daughter hesitated to upgrade her Pismo from Panther to Tiger for a long time, and finally upgraded last fall; she loves it. This is not a matter of opinion for me. I am currently running three browsers with multiple tabs. I have Mail open, as well as MS Word. I am working on Virtual PC, at the same time. In addition I am currently backing up with SuperDuper. Tiger is beautiful, and my Pismo is the best. That is my experience. I am sorry if yours is not as positive :(

Cheers :)

cak

Phillips:

I suggest that you post your topic in the B/W G3 Usage forum in Apple Discussions, where there are a lot of folk who are very familiar with your hardware and there is a greater experience base. Their experience will, I am sure, be useful to you.

Good luck.

cak :)

Back