Stealing my neighbour's wifi

joshuatree

Registered
Hi all- my ibook keeps connecting to my neighbour's unsecured wireless network.

I'll be browsing for a couple of hours before noticing im not connected to my own network. I'll change it back to my network but then later on i'll find it has reverted back again.

Is there a way to force osx not to connect to a network?

Thanks muchly.

System Preferences -> Network
Pull down "Show" -- select Airport
On "By default, join" select Preferred networks
Make sure only your own wireless network is selected
You should also edit options (at bottom left, next to "Show Airport status" button

Had this problem recently. Tried the fix leydog suggested--didn't resolve the problem satisfactorily. However, replacing the wireless router did.

I have a Dlink 624, which I really like, but as it failed, I couldn't keep our computers on our secure network. New 624 (a whole $40 after rebate)--voila!

Why don't you go and knock on your neighbour's door and say "My computer keeps using your wireless because it's easier for it to use than my own. It's not deliberate, but unless you secure the network, I can't guarantee that it won't keep using it."

Get them to MAC filter your laptop if you can; that's sure to stop it happening.

it's a funny situation. Kind of like when TV remote controls were first introduced, but were far too powerful, and people were finding their neighbours' remote was controlling their own TV! Probably in apartment situations I'd say. I don't know how widespread the problem was, I doubt it was as crazy as I make it sound, but it did happen.

I wasn't alive at the time it was going on, but the fun that could have been had! :)

Back