Steve Jobs on Longhorn

Oh, all those users opinions gave me headache. But nice to see that one person believes comparing an alpha OS to Mac OS X is futile.

Agreed, I don't think MS have given enough thought to this whole thing. Apple was in the ditch for a long time, trying to get developers to switch, and I would guess that with an even more outdated user base (Wintel users tend to be less updated than Mac users), I think the phasing out of the "old" Windows OSs will take even longer. And until they can do that they have to do everything twice, thus going at half speed...

But the 2 are very hard to compare, seeing as Longhorn is a LONG way from being released.

M$ should thank Jobs for that statement!
Very interesting discussions and well balanced/true words from Jobs.
Thanks for the link. Very good!
Peace.

While it is true that Microsoft seem to be running at five years between operating system releases now, they are making up for it with software update patches, at an average of one security fix every day!
;-)

Nah, Jobs is right. Microsoft's Longhorn is in the future, Mac OS X is now, and it will take M$ a lot of effort to get developers aboard.

within that article it mentioned what the minimum requirements for Longhorn will be:

4GHz Pentium
640MB RAM (1GB recommended)
80 GB HD (160GB recommended)

Seems quite excessive and would probably put alot of people off because they would need to upgrade their hardware too, unless in 2 or 3 years time Microsoft sees this as what most people would have anyway. I wouldn't expect many home users to have this set up now - i can't think of any i know.

also, i remember seeing a while ago a microsoft project called 'Athens' which was there own design PC (and looked alot like an iMac) i think. could they try and push the two out together at the same time?

thinking about it though, microsoft would never resort to underhand tactics like that :)

Well, the 4Ghz Pentium doesn't exist, so I'm guessing that you know no one with this setup...

Longhorn sounds like a major gamble to me - market dominance is one thing, but maintaining that position once your poorly-engineered product range comes to the end of its lifespan is a whole different ball game. I have to use a PC at work and this week the last few machines were upgraded to Windows 2000 Professional. I have no idea when we'll get XP, if ever, but one thing is for sure we won't be able to upgrade to the kind of spec Longhorn requires for a long time.

Maybe the M$ bubble is going to burst? A lot of public sector organisations and corporates are switching to open source to cut costs and Apple's market share can only increase - not by a huge amount, but steadily. I reckon the next 10 years may well see a huge change in market dynamics and M$ is going to suffer. They've played catch-up since the original Windows was launched and now they're lagging considerably.

Ford used to have a massive share of the car market, but their products suck and in the UK BMW now sells more 3-series than Ford do Mondeos (Concord in the US). I see the same pattern emerging in computing...?

I think that as open source development keeps going, it can only get stronger. The oldest flavors of unix have 25 - 30 years of work in them! MS keeps completely rebuilding it's codebase from scratch, and seems to never really wrap it's releases up all the way. It's great that I can spend $500 for a cheap dell and run windows on it right now as opposed to dropping at least twice that on a good mac, but soon enough people are just going to think 'now that I can just pay $10 at the local computer store for a cd that will install and set up a linux system for me -- why on earth should I pay $150 for windows home edition?' And I think that then a lot of the people with bigger budgets, and also the very new to computers (when will anyone ever be new to computers in the future? I don't know a kid who doesn't at least have internet access, and even if you don't there are computer labs at all the libraries and in the schools...) will look to mac's as windows dies out. And I agree -- If the above are the minimum requirements for running longhorn, there are gonna be a lot of people running 6-7 year old operating systems on real old computers.

Longhorn will force users to invest on a new expensive hardware... what a joke, I thought they call it the compatible world, whereas the Mac is the uncompatible one.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." Bill Gates, 1981 - Who remembers this statement?

MS keeps completely rebuilding it's codebase from scratch, and seems to never really wrap it's releases up all the way
Sort of. Win2000 is just NT5. WinXP is Win2000 with some fancy crap literally tacked on the outside. Longhorn will be the same. XP, with an updated file-system type, (like we got Journaling on HFS+) and a "new" graphics/ui engine. Oh yeah. and no IE6. just "explorer" for everything, and .NET "applications" that run inside "explorer".

On a side note. Everyone knows MS Word will export to "html" (well. i guess it just about parses for html (pun included)). I found out today that word docs themselves are just hacked HTML documents. exactly how stingy IS microsoft?

Not to mention that the "longhorn" will not include Java!

Speaking of XP, I recently installed XP Pro in my workstation at work. The IBM boxe was brand new with a little lable next to Intel Inside that says, XP Ready..... Well, I start the installation from scratch and when it reached the Networking configuration point; XP fails to detect the IBM built-in Network card!!!

What can you expect from an OS released in 2002 that fails to recongnise one of the most important device in nowadays computers?

Longhorn will be the same misery, only this time they'll (windows users) have to spend more on expensive hardware to install it in.

Peace.

Boeing, it could have been worse than not finding it:
It could have done the "Detected new hardware. Installed. Restart. Detected SAME new Hardware. Inatall again. Restart. repeat. and repeat."

Didn't XP come out in 2001? Maybe the 9/11 terrorists were fed up with us for producing crap like that...

I'm especially concerned about Palladium. Who knows how this is going to affect the transfer of data between Macs and PC's? Right now, it's fine with most stuff, but if a document needs a Palladium system to decode, that'll be total crap.

In my view, M$ Win technology has started to out lived its usefulness. I agree with the post about cost. Many companies are sick of the cost of M$ upgrades. In my view, (an naive view) I see it this way.
Apple took a risk to divorce the technology they developed from the earlier finders (..6,7..) and OS 6,7,8,9. In this bold move, to make a modern OS, they did the right thing. Taking advantage of the best of Unix, in my view is the way of future OSs.
M$ in my view, had a big hit with win 95, since then they have been trying to capitalize on that technology. I believe it has out lived its usefulness. The way people are using computers now and in the future; M$ is losing.
I am not in the business world, but in the education field. Our school district uses Macs, and love them. Even older iMacs are very useful, and the costs is manageable. This is my simple view.

Yes. XP was out in 2001. The biggest problem with people and MS right now (in australia at least) is that MS offers the gov. very cheap licensing of all its products for all educational markets (schools, highschools, tafe, probably uni too) so they use it, and it doesnt cost as much as it would for private enterprise. the students then all learn Microsoft. so what do they go out and buy/use/reccomend? Microsoft. thankfully, my state's goverment has passed a law requiring governement departments to use OpenSource software, wherever possible. the other states are looking at it. MS of course, argued that this will "reduce the chance for fair trading" or some bullsh!t. I look forward to the day when the education department is running Linux desktops with OpenOffice logged on to *NIX servers. I'm sick of crappy Windows clients on a crazy Novell network.

I was thinking about this a bit more, and it hit me: Apple is just doing what other software vendors do. They are releasing regular upgrades of their OS.

Think about it: If Adobe waited 5 years between releasing new versions of Photoshop, what would be the reaction? What was the reaction when Quark took so long to upgrade to something higher than version 4? Yet nobody seems to take this stance with Microsoft... I wonder why?

Back