Stickies and "sticking", so to speak...

Gambit

MacManiac
Hey, Mac mates!

Ok, this has been irritating me for enough of time. I need to vent and ask if there is anyone kindly enough to give me a tip to:

...make the app. Stickies remember where I left them (location on the screen) after I quit and reopen them again.

As it is now they appear in a mess on the screen even after I have placed them where they "should" be on the screen.
That is how I want them to remain but for some reason Apple has taken away this logical (to me, anyways) feature.

If I recall it this feature (to remember the last placement on the screen when relaunching it) was possible or even automaticly.
My mind may play trixies with me but that's how I remembered it. Yes?

So...anyone has a tip? :rolleyes:
Because in the preferences of Stickies I find no such choice button.

Cheers!
/G

Its not much help in fixing your problem but you are right, stickies should open again where they were placed when you last quit stickies, at least on my 'puter; I've just tested it to make sure!

there's no preference for remembering their last location, it just does - or not in your case.

redkite said:
Its not much help in fixing your problem but you are right, stickies should open again where they were placed when you last quit stickies, at least on my 'puter; I've just tested it to make sure!

there's no preference for remembering their last location, it just does - or not in your case.

Hum...wierd! :confused:
But thank's anyways.

/G

Hmm... Yeah, I only see misplaced stickies when I connect/disconnect a second monitor...

I've read about this somewhere recently and there was a thread like 40 posts long with a myriad of uninformed suggestions about deleting certain files and stuff. In the end, however, it was the consenus that Stickies for OSX has a bug.

When the notes are minimized their screen location is lost on a reset. Only if the notes are opened up are their positions stored.

Indeed, I have the same problem. There seem to be lots of "problems" with system software that haven't been fixed (like choosing background colour in TextEdit or being able to chose the drag option as default on Preview [not to mention that the keyboard zoom ain't working on OS10.3]... et cetera).

Oh yeah. One more tidbit about Stickies (for those with a damaged laptop that is dubiously unreliable [iBooks can't seem to handle pot holes :((((( ]) a note is not stored on the drive until it is taken out of focus. Therefore, it will be lost if you get a crash unless you click another window, or Finder, into focus first.

Mikel said:
I've read about this somewhere recently and there was a thread like 40 posts long with a myriad of uninformed suggestions about deleting certain files and stuff. In the end, however, it was the consenus that Stickies for OSX has a bug.

When the notes are minimized their screen location is lost on a reset. Only if the notes are opened up are their positions stored.

Indeed, I have the same problem. There seem to be lots of "problems" with system software that haven't been fixed (like choosing background colour in TextEdit or being able to chose the drag option as default on Preview [not to mention that the keyboard zoom ain't working on OS10.3]... et cetera).

Oh yeah. One more tidbit about Stickies (for those with a damaged laptop that is dubiously unreliable [iBooks can't seem to handle pot holes :((((( ]) a note is not stored on the drive until it is taken out of focus. Therefore, it will be lost if you get a crash unless you click another window, or Finder, into focus first.

Woha! Thank's for that info. I had no idea that this actually is a bug.
Good to know how to handle the stickies in the future as well.

Again, ta!

/G

Keyboard zoom not working? Do you mean in Adobe's apps by using Cmd-Space? It works fine if you go to your Trackpad's settings and put things right. ;-)

I have had no trouble out of my stickies until I updated to Snow Leopard. Now my stickies just load in "cascade" on my main monitor. they do not keep their position, and this is driving me mad as I've been using these to keep track of my daily tasks, and everytime I restart my Mac I have to move them back to where I want them to be... :(
If someone finds a solution to this, please post it. Here's to hoping that 10.6.2 will have this fixed. Would be nice of apple to just release a replacement app for this. Hmm I wonder if I could build an applescript or automator sequence that would startup my sticky app and move them to the right position. I will report back if I figure this out...

I set this up to move my stickies and saved it as an app.
It uses the first letter of each sticky note to figure out where I want it.
You have to do a little work and to figure out what the x, y, height, and width are, but it's not that big a deal...
Just copy and paste the code into an applescript. Then change the info and tweak it til it's right, and then save it as an app and tell the app to launch at login.

Code:
tell application "Stickies" to launch
tell application "Stickies"
	activate
	tell application "System Events"
		tell application process "Stickies"
			set L to name of every window
			repeat with awindow in L
				if text 1 thru 1 of awindow is equal to "A" then   --"A" is first letter typed in a sticky.  
																-- make sure none are the same.
					set wtop to 20   --top of sticky "A"  just change the number to change it's position.
					set wleft to 2400  --left of sticky "A"
					set wheight to 800  --height of sticky "A"
					set wwidth to 600  --width of sticky "A"
				end if
				if text 1 thru 1 of awindow is equal to "B" then   --"B" is the first letter of another sticky.
  					set wtop to 350
					set wleft to 3500
					set wheight to 400
					set wwidth to 300
				end if
				if text 1 thru 1 of awindow is equal to "C" then    --"C" is the first letter of another, etc...
					set wtop to 20
					set wleft to 3200
					set wheight to 400
					set wwidth to 200
				end if
				if text 1 thru 1 of awindow is equal to "D" then
					set wtop to 20
					set wleft to 3500
					set wheight to 300
					set wwidth to 300
				end if
				tell window awindow