Still crashing and crashing and crashing

cameronim

Registered
Machine Name: iMac G5 Machine Model: PowerMac8,2 CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.1) Number Of CPUs: 1 CPU Speed: 2 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB Memory: 512 MB Bus Speed: 667 MHz Boot ROM Version: 5.2.5f1
Further to a earlier appeal for help. The above machine has had its H.D. replaced, also a number of phone calls to Apple Help. Since purchase August 2005 the machine has crashed five times. I live in a small town in Spain, trip to Apple Dealer involves bus rides and lugging computer by hand through busy city. Yesterdays crash. I was transferring a 68 image and music programn from iPhoto to Quicktime. I pulled down iPhoto window to see my desktop, halfway down spinning ball appears and computer freezes. Waited about 30 minutes of spinning ball and tried to force quit. It worked the computer quit. Started up with OSX CD tried verify permissions, as always showed error Node B tree. Hard drive no longer mounted. Did what Apple help had advised and re installed OSX. Computer fine now. This same problem happens repeately, sometimes after downloading, once after downloading Apple upgrades. Sometimes when opening a programn over another programn. I now run Repair permissions and verify disc every two days no problems. machine operates perfectly between crashes. Just prior to one crash Safari disappeared and before another VLC (Video Lan disappeared Obviously with so many crashes I do not have time to use more than 15GB of its capacity. Apart from standard Apple supplied programns I have Google Earth, Neo Office. Image Well. Audacity audio mixer and Stuffit expander. I would appreciate any insight you may have to this problem

You have reinstalled a fresh version of the Operating System? If so did you chose to erase and install?

Thanks for reply
Each time I have re installed OSX I have erased before installation, after I do the erase function the HD will show that it is mounted. Before I erase it shows unmounted

Well, all I can suggest is, if the computer is under warranty, take advantage of it, and have Apple repair it. From you post, this certainly sounds like a daunting task. Although, you have followed what Apple has told you, and the problem still exist.

What kind of crash are we talking about ? The application your using just quitting, or black screen with greyish text about kernel crash ?

Sorry for delay in responding, I am now at local computer cafe as my computer is going to Apple for repair. Crashing I am talking about are total. I could run the OSX disc to get into disc utilities, Hard Drive would be shown as dull grey and have changed its name from Hard Drive to Do3. Up until this crash I was able to re install OSX by erasing, this last crash there is no hard drive to re install. The H.D. had been replaced but six times following replacement the machine would crash, each time following Apple Care instructions I re installed operating system. Run all tests, verified permission every day, machine would be perfect. Last crash I had read my emails, tried to close window, machine stopped operating, each time it happened under different circumstances. I am now interested in what the repair will be as I am not convinced problem lies solely with HD

You should stress the point to Apple you believe it to be more than a Hard Drive problem. You request detailed diagnostic results.

Back