Stock market doesn't seem to like new iTunes

Lazarus18

In debt medical student
Apple's stock is down something like 6% last I checked. I was surprised, I thought that with the annoucement all those pundits who thought Apple was foolish for not making products for Windows would be buying it up. Haven't seen any commentary on why it's taking a hit. Any ideas?

The market anticipated more than "just" iTMS for Windows... it anticipated iTMS in Europe and Asia !

But don't worry... grows will be back on next Monday... and even more on the 24th, when Steve will use the Panther annoucement to tell us how many songs he sold to Windows users !

I find it hard to believe that the lack of support for international users would hurt Apple that much. I can see it tempering some of the optimism, but Apple just added millions of potential ITMS users, and even if it's not as high as it could have been I don't see why the stock would DROP. Did investors really have their sights set too high? If so shouldn't it have spiked yesterday before the announcement today?

This is what I don't like about stocks, often it's not the actual details of the company that matter, but public perception of that company.

He didn't add international features?! :eek:
Well, I'm in the US and I don't use iTMS, but honestly Steve, that sucks...

It didn't DROP, it just just came a little bit down after a stong growth because of the anticipation of the annoucement.

Less customers means less income... therefore lower stock. Here we have more customer, but not as much as anticipated.

from etrade:
-1.57 -6.33%

That's pretty significant.

NOW.AAPL.d01.dl.gif

do you want to compare ?

Attachments

• charts.gif
    charts.gif
    9.1 KB · Views: 26
It's called profit taking. Plus, whenever Apple gets close to the $25 mark, investors like to knock it back.

Soon, it should go over. Apple kicked arse today and Panther is still a week away...

Agreed. It's a strategy of buying on anticipation, selling on the news. It's a game of trying to lead the buying and selling to the point that it no longer reflects what the company does, but what investors predict people will think about the company's news.

The stock market has become totally perverse. It was originally intended to let people help and partake in massive business growth opportunities, helping out good people trying to start a good business by letting them borrow your money. If everything went really well, maybe they'd even be able to give you back a little extra for your generosity of letting them take a loan from you.

Now it's a hybrid of horse race betting and Family Feud. Trying to figure out not the truth, but the perception and the profitability. And anticipating that. Who invests in companies because they like what the company does any more? Virtually nobody, everyone is part of a plan that guarantees return on investment. The whole honesty and integrity concept has left the stock market and almost no one remembers it going away.

In the modern stock market, if the mafia and the yakuza were publicly traded, they'd probably have all sorts of buyers. They have some seriously profitable business plans!

Yeah this does happen every time, and I knew it would happen again. I had to hope that it wouldn't, so I didn't do anything. I "lost" about $500 today. What a crock.

Tell me about it. For a couple months in economics we're doing a stock trading game. I was investing some in apple (unbiased trading, love it). Anyway, this morning I invested 3,000 shares in apple (with heavy rumors about WinTunes and iPod accessories).

Then at 9:20 I checked the stock and nearly peed myself. There went my $7,800 profit :rolleyes:

I think that's a very liberal interpretation of history to say that stocks were originally sold out of good will towards the person selling the stock, that people invested out of the goodness of their hearts. It was always about making money, and always will be. It's just that now people are more willing to gamble. However most investors balance that speculation with long term investments.

Maybe next time Apple is making a great, exciting announcement that should boost their bottom line I should sell short :rolleyes:

Just wondering...how could sales increase if nobody could buy songs before it was released? (referring to windows users of-course)

Back