Stop the LED from "breathing" in Sleep mode?

DirtyCzech

Registered
I have a 15' MBP and a 23' ACD. When the Mac and display are "sleeping", is there a way to prevent the power indicator LEDs from "breathing"??? When the room is dark, the intermittent brightness from the LEDs can be quite annoying.

Thanks for any help!

most people use a bit of tape... obviously not the best solution, but the best i've found. or roll over and look the other way. close your eyes?

Yeah, i realize it's a petty, minor annoyance, but it just so happens my most comfortable side to sleep on is FACING my Mac set-up.....

at least if there are people out there using tape to hide it, this means i am not the only person annoyed by this!

Thanks

Well, I usually prop my wallet against my MacBook and a gray card against the iMac/G4. I wouldn't kill the breathing light, though, it makes me happy.

(If you don't sleep in the same room as your Mac, you need to go to relationship counseling.)

My Macs themselves have never bothered me, but LEDs on other devices (most notably my MacAlly dotMouse) drive me mad. A little electrical tape works wonders. It peels off easily, too.

If it _really_ bothers you, you can let the MBP go to sleep (apple menu item, not closing the lid) and, when it has completed to write the RAM to the harddrive, press and hold the power button. This totally shuts down the computer, but it'll take the memory back from the harddrive once you press the start button again. Certainly not as convenient as instant-sleep/wakeup, but it does the trick for the light. I wouldn't do it _everytime_, though.

Reading all of the replies and suggestions, I wonder why the simplest of all solutions has not been put forward : if the sleep light is so annoying (and it is to me too), why not perform a plain and simple overnight shut down ?
I find that the 30 to 45 seconds needed to boot my iMac G5 is much less annoying than 8 hours of that blinking light "flodding" my room.
Unless of course we still believe that shut-downs and restarts are harmful to electronic components, which I think is nothing but folklore when applied to modern hardware.

BimBam

I just put a book or something in front of the MBP. It bugs me as well since I've got a small room and no matter where the MBP is the lights will be blinking all over.
Shutdowns are for Windows..

hmmmm....i'm amazed that there isn't an option under "energy saver" or something, like something hidden that most people don't know about. it seems most people don't know about "play feedback when volume is changed" under sound effects, which I consider having this turned on to be a HUGE annoyance (hearing that beep everytime you adjust the volume via keyboard). So, i was thinking the LED thing was along the same-line. this is obviously an OS driven feature, so there has to be someway to override it. the LED on the display doesnt bother me, but the LED on the MBP is pretty large (in comparison to the display and MP LEDs).

I dunno, gimmicky stuff like that gets old very quickly, in my opinion. maybe I feel the need to complain about petty things like this because I'm jewish.

OH YEAH...you know what is a huge annoyance??? When the LED from the MBP and displays do not breath in sync. THAT really gets on my nerves. I don't believe in powering down my Mac, except maybe during a storm.

Reading all of the replies and suggestions, I wonder why the simplest of all solutions has not been put forward : if the sleep light is so annoying (and it is to me too), why not perform a plain and simple overnight shut down ?
I find that the 30 to 45 seconds needed to boot my iMac G5 is much less annoying than 8 hours of that blinking light "flodding" my room.
Unless of course we still believe that shut-downs and restarts are harmful to electronic components, which I think is nothing but folklore when applied to modern hardware.

BimBam

because itunes/dvd player finds it quite hard to play when it's shut down... ;)

Lt. Major Burns just nailed it on the head! Is anybody familiar with Onyx? Perhaps this could be a system tweek in Onyx? I'm only vaguely familiar with the app.

Back