Stop using the Desktop!

Originally posted by iRock
in response to strobe's obsession with drop drawers...

The desktop is not intrusive on your screen space like drop drawers by having floating windows and while it is possible for the desktop to be completely hidden this case is very rare. you can access the desktop without having a huge ass drawer take over your screen, and can easily get at the file you want by typing its name (i don't know if this is true in drop drawers or not). its the best damn temporary folder i've ever seen and can imagine

You don't sound very imaginative.

Drop Drawers X doesn't use up screen space. It's put away unless your cursor is on the edge of your screen.

Drop Drawers is a hell of a lot easier to access.

The Desktop is VERY easily hidden. I have well over 2 million pixels on this desktop and it's always being hidden. It's insane to manage windows to un-hide the Desktop, it's completely unnecessary.

It's the WORST temporary directory imaginable! When I used to use the Desktop there would be a million files littered all over the place. Typing the name to find a file you can't see is ludicrous! You would have to type the name then get info just to make sure you have the right file.

However if you use a downloads directory your temp files can be in a list which you can order by date so the one you used recently is at the top. Now THERE is an awesome temp file solution!

Originally posted by endian
as of March 24 you could drag ~/Library/Desktop/ to the dock & access it that way ;)

I'm drooling over OSX all over again

Yes but I hate the desktop having files in it. It's a lot less distracting and dangerous to use a Downloads directory especially since you can put it idirectly n your home dir.

Just wish I could stop apps from putting crap in my Desktop Folder! Perhaps when Folder Actions are implemented I can have a beep when a program does something stupid like that.

Strobe,

You hate the desktop as a temporary folder - many users do not. "Temporary Folders" are just not for downloads. I often put files on the desktop as a way of saying, "This file goes someplace not immediately available but I need to deal with it shortly."

The desktop is a functional piece of file management. Some of us use it as a folder, starting point, or even just an intermediate step. Apple made the right move. The desktop no longer has to fulfill those roles.

Personally I hate hierarchical menus used for navigation (i.e. Classic’s Apple Menu). I couldn’t say that people were wrong to use it or even that it was a horrible solution. The lack of alternatives is a problem. I am happy with the new Finder’s hierarchical column view. I am also happy that the Dock and better Finder windows have given an alternative to the desktop.

Jove

Originally posted by strobe
Drop Drawers X doesn't use up screen space. It's put away unless your cursor is on the edge of your screen.

I was unaware of this, but i find this as a grievance as well. One thing i despise is when i need to click on something near the edge of the screen and something pops up in my way (ex dock, startmenu, control strip, drop drawers).

The Desktop is VERY easily hidden. I have well over 2 million pixels on this desktop and it's always being hidden. It's insane to manage windows to un-hide the Desktop, it's completely unnecessary.

Clearly we manage our screens differently... I despise seeing windows from apps that i'm not using, i have a 15" multiscan monitor on my pm 8600 which has a viewable of like 13, its not difficult to fill the screen, but the right edge usually shows and def the lower right corner, it is very rare that i throw anything over there. so when i want to access the desktop i just throw my mouse down right and click, then i type and hit apple-o to open the file. navigating your files via the keyboard is incredibly fast (unless you can't type worth a shit) you don't have to type the entire name to get the file you want.

However if you use a downloads directory your temp files can be in a list which you can order by date so the one you used recently is at the top. Now THERE is an awesome temp file solution!

a temp directory is different than a download directory. Your setup for a download directory is pretty sly. I'm talking about a temp directory though. I do put my downloads on my desktop (which i may change to how you are doing it now), but along with them i put any new files or projects i'm working on. saving new projects on the desktop is quick and easy, opening them via an app is also easy, no navigation in the open window dialog box, just hit apple-D type the name hit enter. wanna open a file from the finder, throw the mouse down in the lower right corner click, or better yet apple-tab to the finder, type the name hit apple-o or apple-p if you just want to print the doc. you typically get the file you want after typiing the first 3 letters. your hand never needs to leave the keyboard

I'm not saying drop drawers is a crappy program and no one should use it. It is very slick, especially for those people addicted to their mice. Mice are good too, however, it is a slow way to get things done (aside from truely graphical things of course or controls for say a game). However navigation and commands can be done via the keyboard much more quickly than via the mouse...and personally i don't want to sit in front of my computers any more than necessary

I was unaware of this, but i find this as a grievance as well. One thing i despise is when i need to click on something near the edge of the screen and something pops up in my way (ex dock, startmenu, control strip, drop drawers).

YOU DO NOT NEED TO CLICK ON THE EDGE OF YOUR SCREEN!

I wish people would try software before criticizing it.

Please do not confuse Drop Drawers with the Control Strip, Start Menu, or Dock. The behavior is not analogous.

You only have to move the cursor to the edge, move it to the item, click, and it's all put away automatically. However you could have just tried the utility to find that out.

Clearly we manage our screens differently... I despise seeing windows from apps that i'm not using, i have a 15" multiscan monitor on my pm 8600 which has a viewable of like 13, its not difficult to fill the screen, but the right edge usually shows and def the lower right corner, it is very rare that i throw anything over there. so when i want to access the desktop i just throw my mouse down right and click, then i type and hit apple-o to open the file. navigating your files via the keyboard is incredibly fast (unless you can't type worth a shit) you don't have to type the entire name to get the file you want.

But you don't know what file you have selected unless it's visible! Typing skill is a red herring.

And this is the whole point. The Desktop is easily hidden. I don't have to manage my windows so there is no comparison between your management of windows and mine. When I don't have to worry about what is visible and what isn't any window location works.

a temp directory is different than a download directory. Your setup for a download directory is pretty sly. I'm talking about a temp directory though. I do put my downloads on my desktop (which i may change to how you are doing it now), but along with them i put any new files or projects i'm working on. saving new projects on the desktop is quick and easy, opening them via an app is also easy, no navigation in the open window dialog box, just hit apple-D type the name hit enter. wanna open a file from the finder, throw the mouse down in the lower right corner click, or better yet apple-tab to the finder, type the name hit apple-o or apple-p if you just want to print the doc. you typically get the file you want after typiing the first 3 letters. your hand never needs to leave the keyboard

But you must have the magical ability to know which files you have selected since they are hidden.

If you switch to the Finder and your temp folder is open you can do the same thing. The only difference is it's actually visible.

Like you said, command-tab type three letters. Wow, the temp window comes to the FOREGROUND and thus is VISIBLE and thus I can see what I'm doing. There is no advantage to the Desktop with temp files.

I'm not saying drop drawers is a crappy program and no one should use it. It is very slick, especially for those people addicted to their mice. Mice are good too, however, it is a slow way to get things done (aside from truely graphical things of course or controls for say a game). However navigation and commands can be done via the keyboard much more quickly than via the mouse...and personally i don't want to sit in front of my computers any more than necessary

Then stop wasting time 'managing' windows.

you can open ~/Library/Desktop/ just fine in a Finder window, which would seem to be the best of both worlds.

I've been using OS X beta as my regular OS since it was released, and I'm glad that it's got me out of the habit of using the desktop. That was a bad habit - on the rare occasions that I boot in OS 9 (mainly for DVD playing) I am horrified by the state of my old desktop, which has so many files that I have icons ontop of icons. I recall that this would regularly happen, then I'd have to spend hours sorting it out.
****> More importantly, IMO the optimal way of working in OS X is to leave all windows open and un-minimisied, and therefore it's particularly inconvienient to have to uncover the desktop to get at an icon. Why leave all windows open, I hear you object?
A MAJOR improvement in OS X (versus 9) is that bringing a particular window to the front does not bring all that app's window to the front - this practically rules out the need for minimisation since the "screen real estate" is filled with just exactly the windows you want. This will be doubly true after March 24, when we get the new feature that Jobs demonstrated (which I and many other people requested): you'll be able to get directly to a specific window in any open app simply by clicking and holding on the app's icon in the dock. Smart.

Originally posted by endian
you can open ~/Library/Desktop/ just fine in a Finder window, which would seem to be the best of both worlds.

I guess you didn't read the thread, this was already pointed out and commented on.

Drop Drawers X doesn't use up screen space. It's put away unless your cursor is on the edge of your screen.[/i]

YOU DO NOT NEED TO CLICK ON THE EDGE OF YOUR SCREEN!

I wish people would try software before criticizing it.

Please do not confuse Drop Drawers with the Control Strip, Start Menu, or Dock. The behavior is not analogous.

You only have to move the cursor to the edge, move it to the item, click, and it's all put away automatically. However you could have just tried the utility to find that out.

right...too bad you completely misunderstood what i said. I was tring to convey i don't like global floating windows of any nature, which drop drawers is...and it is an annoyance when i'm dragging a file or clicking on the edge of the screen and some stupid global window happens to be in my way and changes the result of what i was doing.

i wish people would read posts before critcizing them. :)

The Desktop is VERY easily hidden. I have well over 2 million pixels on this desktop and it's always being hidden. It's insane to manage windows to un-hide the Desktop, it's completely unnecessary.[/i]

But you don't know what file you have selected unless it's visible! Typing skill is a red herring.

And this is the whole point. The Desktop is easily hidden. I don't have to manage my windows so there is no comparison between your management of windows and mine. When I don't have to worry about what is visible and what isn't any window location works.

maybe i just have clearly superior typing skill, i dunno, typing 3 letters usually isn't all that difficult IMO. i am aware if i mistyped something too by how my fingers hit the keys. Its pretty hard to be so retarted to be able to hit the wrong key and feel comfortable doing so. Hence the "magical ability" is that i know what i typed and i know the files on my desktop, therefore knowing i typed enough to get the file i want.

I think it is quite clear that the two of us will not agree on this issue. I find the desktop somewhat useful, you don't, to each their own. I think our standpoints have been adequatly stated and after several more replies they would just be flames. You're very active in the forum, and i agree with a lot of what you say...however, in this case i don't. I think it is approaching the time that we accept this and move on. later

sorry, should have included this in my last post...i'd just like to say i agree with sbenj, in that with the revisions to the dock in os x may further reduce my use of the desktop...that is if i am able to switch to a specific application window via the keyboard...it should be doable, but i guess i'll have to wait and see.

I have definitely found that my number of clicks to get where I need to go has decreased with the new desktop (which should be called Finder in the dock). Once I gave up trying to make OS X like OS 7/8/9 I realized that the new way of navigating is definitely much more efficient. Space.app has also given me added real estate, much like having virtual desktops in X windows.

I find that when I start putting things on the desktop I end up with files multiplying. All of a sudden there is a HUGE clutter of miscellaneous files. Downloading to a "Downloads" directly really helps clean things up. Also, I like the way OS X lets me browse through files. I like the way it shows the contents in the next column over. It makes navigation a lot simpler.

mtc7501, preach on brother! I just wish more apps would use the global download directory preferences.

lucifer, Space.app doesn't give you any more real estate IMO. I don't understand why people use virtual screens. One of the keys to using multiple applications together efficiently is being able to see them, which is why every mac I've used since 1986 has had multiple monitors.

Since one can select individual windows using the Dock's contextual menu I think Space.app is useless unless a future version allows one to bring groups of windows to the foreground without hiding the others, or keep specific windows in the foreground. However as it is, it's just trying to copy a utility which has no utility.

I've found virtual screens are even more detrimental to productivity in X11, if it can be believed X11 can be worse than usual. Virtual screens look like X11's answer to windows global window mode, or whatever they called it.

Some time ago I had a NuBus card made by RasterOps which allowed one to have a virtual screen which scrolled. In some cases I actually found that useful since I could scroll large images more easily than by using the scroll bar. Although I would much prefer to have a trackball button which when clicked would scroll the image up/down/left/right when the cursor is moved.

I find that when I start putting things on the desktop I end up with files multiplying. All of a sudden there is a HUGE clutter of miscellaneous files

I purposefully leave my downloads on the desktop, otherwise I end up with gigabytes of .tar.gz and .img.sit files lying around for months. Besides, OmniWeb has a 'Download to Desktop' item in its context menus, so this way I don't have to look in 2 places for things. Although I wonder if the menu changes the download location if I change my prefs... hmmm....

Man,

This thread will never die :)

Strobe - not everybody can have multiple monitors! Some of us just have one small one.

I stopped using my desktop so I can use Saverlab with full screen background slideshows! The only piece of functionality I have missed is more of a finder limitation. I want to move a file from point A to point M. I would normally select the file drag it to the desktop, navigate to the new folder and drop the file in. I now must have multiple finder windows open. I have gotten used to the single Finder window mode, mentality, and philosophy. I really don't want to open another screen real estate sucking window - just to drop a file! You know, popup folders, with flaws and all, was a solution to that problem.

Just my inflation adjusted 2 cents

Jove

Back