stopping powerbook sleeping when closed...

bb7_rider

Registered
hey guys, Ive got a 17" powerbook G4 (first mac ever still learning!) and was wondering how I can stop it going to sleep when i shut it? I want to use a 17" powerbook as an Ipod :) (well not really but if i can have it playing music for short periods while its in my bag it saves me carying around my iaudio occasionally, since i always have the laptop with me :)
wouldnt use it for extended periods of time obviously, because of battery drain and heat issues having it shoved in my bag ::ha::

This is a safety feature that keeps it from overheating.

If I read correctly they changed this on the new Intel MacBooks... Which would make them the first Apple laptops to be able to operate closed.

Obviously this is a nice thing for those of us who want to use them as livingroom iTunes servers. (My cat always wants to sit on mine because its so warm. :-/)

Sleepless

That's the program I use on my Powerbook (specs in my sig.). It's a great little app, and does just what I need it to. Its shareware though, I don't know of any freeware options off the top of my head, my apologies.

I understand that you can stop a powerbook from sleeping when closing the lid. There is a trick to this though.

You still close the powerbook and it sleeps as per normal but you can then wake it up without opening the screen again provided you have a keyboard or mouse plugged in. Then it is just a simple matter of pressing a key an viola, the powerbook is awake with its eyes closed ;)

As it was a few years ago when I saw this done I am a little sketchy on all the details but im sure that pluging in a combination of keyboard, mouse and or monitor does work.

I'm not sure this answers your question rider mate but its the only way i know of to make your powerbook sleep walk without 3rd party software. As for overheating... if it burns fingers when typing then its too hot!! ;)

Back