Story of a lonely guy... (without his mac)

verlorenengel

Geek Stink Breath
Oh god.
So my new powermac is going to arrive some time next week, let's say Friday next week.
Today is wednesday... I have to survive over a week, on XP.
This is hell, it really is.

I never thought I'd see the day where I advocated Apple over Microsoft, I normally approach them both as being much of the same - as long as the machine does what you need it to right? Well thats what I thought.

However, after being back on XP for a day I've realised that Apples new phrase "Everythings easier on a mac" is completely and utterly true.

Oh how I long for my iPhoto again, plugging my Canon PowerShot G2 into the mac was much simpler than browsing through my computer double clicking annoying explorer boxes just to get to the photos.

Aiee... I also realised that as much as I hate resizing in OSX, its just as bad in XP. What's the difference? Windows flickers more when it resizes so it appears to be a hell of a lot quicker.

I guess in fairness to XP alot of the problems may be associated with drivers and what not, which only goes to prove one more thing - Everything's easier on a mac.

God speed my dual 1.0 to me!

PS: I decided to pick up an iPod with the machine as well - hope they are good!

Glad to hear it, it pleases me to hear.

And the iPod is definately worth the cash, but not completely bug-free.

I want to buy an lcd.. but i can't decide between a 22" cinema or dual 17"s.

22 has the 1600x1200, but dual 17 has 2 x 1200 x 1024

Wadda you guys think?

I've heard it said that the Cinema Display is superior to multi-monitor setups, by members on these boards who have used both. (If I remember rightly, someone who uses a triple-17 setup at work and the cinema display ay home. Anyone remember where this was?)
Still, multi-monitors does have a certain cool factor. But if its design and photography you want, one unbroken image is always better.

Actually, I tell you what I'd prefer.. The 22" with multi desktop support in X. You know like in XFree86 based window managers? That would solve my problems entirely.

I'll have to check out the 22" again next time I go in to the applecentre, it's a big choice to part with $5,500 AUD!

Originally posted by symphonix
I've heard it said that the Cinema Display is superior to multi-monitor setups, by members on these boards who have used both. (If I remember rightly, someone who uses a triple-17 setup at work and the cinema display ay home. Anyone remember where this was?)
Still, multi-monitors does have a certain cool factor. But if its design and photography you want, one unbroken image is always better.

Why no do both? I am running a Cinema Display and a 17'' CRT Studio Display in dual monitor config! It's REALLY good!

Whether a 22" or dual 17" LCDs is better, depends on your usage...

If you do a lot of work in applications that utilize a timeline, ie, Flash, LiveMotion, AfterEffects, Lightwave - having on large screen will be a godsend. You'll be able to stretch the timeline out and get an exceptional coverage area.

However, if you don't use timline based apps, the second monitor can come in handy for moving all your applications pallettes over to, giving you one monitor for your work area, and another for your tools.

The 22" is nice, but in my opinion, I'd rather have 2 17". The reason is simple - if one of the 17" breaks down, you still have a monitor you can get some work done on. If the 22" fails, your stuck until it gets fixed.

Plus, keep in mind the dead pixel factor. Apple will not replace or repair a monitor due to what it calls "an acceptable level of dead pixels". I believe there can be up to 6 in a row/column before Apple will service it.

How would you feel if you got your new Cinema Display home, unpacked it, set it up, and found out it had several dead pixels? I know when I found just ONE on my TiBook - I was thoroughly pissed.

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
Whether a 22" or dual 17" LCDs is better, depends on your usage...

If you do a lot of work in applications that utilize a timeline, ie, Flash, LiveMotion, AfterEffects, Lightwave - having on large screen will be a godsend. You'll be able to stretch the timeline out and get an exceptional coverage area.

However, if you don't use timline based apps, the second monitor can come in handy for moving all your applications pallettes over to, giving you one monitor for your work area, and another for your tools.

The 22" is nice, but in my opinion, I'd rather have 2 17". The reason is simple - if one of the 17" breaks down, you still have a monitor you can get some work done on. If the 22" fails, your stuck until it gets fixed.

Plus, keep in mind the dead pixel factor. Apple will not replace or repair a monitor due to what it calls "an acceptable level of dead pixels". I believe there can be up to 6 in a row/column before Apple will service it.

How would you feel if you got your new Cinema Display home, unpacked it, set it up, and found out it had several dead pixels? I know when I found just ONE on my TiBook - I was thoroughly pissed.

Whenever you have 6 or more dead pixels on a cinema display, they repair it for free! Not in a row or column, but on the whole screen! A friend of mine had seven, called tech support, the next day UPS fetched the display to Apple and one and a half week later, he had the display back with a new display layer!!!

Back