Straight question - Can Superdrive be used to burn "consumer dvd's"?

ThE OutsiDer

Registered
I don't care about the legallity of the topic, I own Robocop criterion ed. and Akira L.Ed and both dvd's got scratched hard in a robbery in my house, I will never be able to find these movies brand new again and want to copy my versions as backups and use them to watch, can I do this with a superdrive or is the superdrive just some "hobby" device to copy movies captured on dv camera's of old poor mary jane rotten crotch in her purty pint panties...?

Yes, the DVD's the SuperDrive burns can be read in a consumer DVD box. You won't be able to simply copy DVD's, but it is possible to rip the first DVD and put it onto the second. The only problem with that is the SuperDrive can only burn an hour and a half I think.

but I think that the 90 minute content limit on DVD writing is only through iDVD2. DVDStudioPro might be able to get the full 2 hours out of a DVD-R. Apple's website doesn't really say what DVDStudioPro will get, but I'm pretty sure you can fill whatever DVD medium you are recording to.

The only reason you can get 90 min with either iDVD2 or DSP is that it lets you use inferior sound quality to free up space.

Maybe we'll see a SuperDuperDrive one of these days that can burn dual-layers.

-Rob

Originally posted by rharder
The only reason you can get 90 min with either iDVD2 or DSP is that it lets you use inferior sound quality to free up space.

Maybe we'll see a SuperDuperDrive one of these days that can burn dual-layers.

-Rob

rharder is correct, but I'd like to explain a little further. Commercial DVD's (at least most of them) have dual-layerd disc. It basically doubles the size of the disc to around 9 gigs. However the media available to consumers are single layered discs, keeping them just over 4 gigs. This is why the copying of DVD's is almost impossible. And until the DVD burners appear that can burn dual layers, we will be stuck with 90 mins. of video.

A lot of DVD-RAM Discs are double sided and hold 9.4GB. I don't know if Consumer DVD Players can read them, or how you would burn it, but it's the only DVD Media that is available to consumers that is over 4GB. They also happen to be re-writeable.

I am no expert on this, but I've researched it a little. If i'm wrong on any of this, please let me know.

DVD-RAM does NOT burn DVDs that are playable on a consumer DVD player. It burns data DVDs, not mpeg-2 streams.

The Superdrive is not capable of burning "author" quality DVDs, you have to buy a several thousand dollar DVD burner if you want to make a master for a replication factory. I got this info from DiscMaker's last newsletter.

I don't know about that 90 minute limit thing if it applies acorss the board on the Superdrive, I'd love to know for sure.

Back