Straight-up Minimize all?

EricDoggett

Registered
Am I missing something, or is there no straight-up way to minimize all the windows on the screen so that I am just looking at the desktop?

I like OSX alot, but dealing with window clutter certainly hasn't gotten any easier!

Eric Doggett

If you hold Command and Option while clicking the Finder's Dock icon, it will hide all other applications, and leave you with a nice, immaculate desktop. It doesn't actually minimize all of the windows into the Dock, since it's just hiding the apps, but it saves you the trouble of watching genie effects on many windows simultaneously. By the way, this won't hide the Finder's own windows, just ones from other programs.

Originally posted by davidbrit2
If you hold Command and Option while clicking the Finder's Dock icon, it will hide all other applications, and leave you with a nice, immaculate desktop. It doesn't actually minimize all of the windows into the Dock, since it's just hiding the apps, but it saves you the trouble of watching genie effects on many windows simultaneously. By the way, this won't hide the Finder's own windows, just ones from other programs.

Nice tip, i forgot about that option. Thanks for reminding me!

I just found another way to do it. Install the utility MenuStrip, which is available on you iDisk under What's New. It's a $12 shareware program, and it does some other neat stuff as well as minimizing everything (including Finder windows,) so you might want to check it out.

Back