Strange Airport Express setting and iTunes issue

xplan303ex

Registered
Here's the deal: I have set up my AE, a long time ago, to use an static IP address from the ISP and to distribute IP addresses using 10.0.1.1 scheme. Everything has worked flawlessly for 2 years or so. Now I moved and the connection sometimes drops, which led me to believe someone had hacked my password and was just using all my bandwidth (BTW, is there a utility that will let me check traffic?) so I decided to turn off the IP distribution and just use the static IP. Internet works fine but my iTunes speakers are gone, when I try to connect to them I get the error "the remote speakers are not compatible with this version of iTunes". Updated to latest software, both OS and iTunes, no go. Reverted to IP distribution, everything works again.

What's going on? How can I solve this?

When you change to static the subnet mask most likely changed too. You will have to login locally to the AE an compare all the settings to match your new network scheme.

I didn't change the submask, just unchecked the option to distribute IP addresses. The static IP, submask and gateway remain the same.

no one has any ideas?

If your speakers rely on the dhcp server to provide an ip-number, the speakers will no longer get the ip-number. Program them to have a fixed ip-number and it should work again. IP-numbers are not remember (as they are not valid) after the lease time expires.

Good luck, Kees

If your speakers rely on the dhcp server to provide an ip-number, the speakers will no longer get the ip-number. Program them to have a fixed ip-number and it should work again. IP-numbers are not remember (as they are not valid) after the lease time expires.

Good luck, Kees

Where do I set the speaker's IP address? That's news to me.

Thanks.

Where do I set the speaker's IP address? That's news to me.

Thanks.

Check the documentation of the speakers, or consult your dealer or the manufacturer for it. Normally you cn configure the speakers through software on the computer (most likely), or sometimes even directly in the speakers itself.

Good luck, Kees

Back