Strange audio challenge

Andrew Adamson

Got root? Sudoes.
Right now, I am developing a Flash Communications Server application (FCS is a server-client based system to allow users to communicate though Macromedia flash movies embedded in web pages via a central server). I am developing on a Mac Mini, which as you may know does not have a microphone jack. Because of this limitation, I have to use a USB audio adapter. In other audio applications, such as Skype, the sound is crystal clear. In the Sytem Preferences, the mic signal is strong and reponsive. No problem. In Flash it is zero, dead.

Using Flash's built-in dialogue box I can see that flash IS seeing an audio signal (it has a sort of VU meter that moves when you talk). But aside from that, it appears the sound cannot leave the movie. It fails in Firefox, Safari, IE and in the stand-alone flash player. No problem in Windows.

This is a sufficiently detailed problem that I will probably have to take it back to Macromedia to find a solution (or try replacing the adapter -- UAC3556B -- with a Griffin iMic USB adapter). That's my next step. But I am hoping this might be a simple configuration problem. How do you track down an audio hardware problem. I've noticed that Apple locks hardware devices so other applications can't use them (wisely). Is there a way to find out what application has a lock on which device?

Back