Strange Behaviour OS X10.4.8

djbrennan

Registered
I have been experiencing a weird problem for a few days. When I try to access my Menubar menus, if I click, the menulist flashes at me but I can't "hold" the focus to allow me to choose an option. Eventually, after some time, I find I cannot use the Apple menu to shut down/restart and have to power the machine off and then on. Typically it will take a few such forced restarts to "clear" the problem but after a while it reappears. Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards,

Denis

mouse driver issues maybe? are you using a 3rd party mouse and it's maker's drivers?

Many thanks, you got the diagnosis spot-on. I disconnected my Logitech mouse and my Powerbook's been behaving perfectly all day. As an experiment, about a half-hour ago, I reconnected the Logitech mouse and immediately the symptoms reappeared - disconnect - they disappear. Now what is intriguing me is "Why now?" I've been using this mouse for a few months w/o problems and now, Bingo! - they start.
Best regards,

Denis

Logitech makes some primo mice but their drivers are less than stellar.
I've got two Logitech mice but have abandoned their own drivers for USB Overdrive: http://usboverdrive.com/USBOverdrive/News.html
I've found that it allows for a far wider range settings, and is totally problem free. It works, beautifully, with any mouse, too.
If you do decide to try it out, be sure that you delete all of Logitech's own driver files from your Mac, especially the Logitech kernel extension, otherwise USB Overdrive won't recognize your Logitech mice.

Back