Strange dock behavior

Teronzhul

Registered
I am completely new to unix etc. like i'm sure a lot of you are. I don't know if this normal behavior or not, but it seems quite odd to me. let me try to explain, perhaps someone can duplicate this and tell me if its weird. I have my dock positioned on the left, with an applications folder docked so that i can get to my apps easily. I also have the cpu monitor constantly running in the dock in expanded view. Now, when I bring up the sub menu for the apps folder, cpu monitor maxes out. I used the terminal/top command and noticed that dock goes from about 0% processor to 60% and stays there. However, it only stays at 60% while the mouse is on the popup menu. If I move the mouse back over the dock, with the menu still open, dock processing goes back to 0%. Also, of I continue to mouseover the open menu to a submenu, and move the mouse to the submenu, again the processor usage drops to 0%. Why would it be so incredibly different, if the menu is still open, simply depending on the location of the pointer? does it really require 60% of my processor to draw a black pointer over the menu? What is going on? Is this normal? I'm confused, I'm tired, and I'm going to sleep.

Teronzhul

Registered
ok, i decided pictures would help, here you can see me with the menu open, and dock taking 50% of processor

Attachments

Teronzhul

Registered
And next, where the only difference is that i have moved the mouse a few pixels over to the next menu.

Attachments

rharder

Do not read this sign.
Yeah, I'll try to duplicate it as soon as my util goes back to zero. It's been at 100% for some time now while I (pointlessly) try to calculate pi to one million decimal places.

-Rob

VGZ

Registered
I tried it on my machine last night and it did not do what you describe. I did however notice that docked folders will only display the first 100 or so items and then show a ... has anyone else noticed this?