Strange files in /Volumes

antadam

Registered
This may have to do with journaling on 10.2.7, but when i look in my volumes folder (boot up a terminal b/c it doesn't show up otherwise) i see a file called "HD" and "HD\". Periodically, I'll see something like "._192.168.1.107" and the like (my private network). Anyone know what/why these are existing and what their purpose is. I'm gonna dump them otherwise. I suspect the Class C address has something to do w/a mounted drive or just a connection someone's made or i have made. either way, i'm just wondering what they are before i dump them.
thanks in advance

You can use Tinkertool to reveal hidden files and folders.

Did you try opening these files? I wouldn't worry about them too much, unless they take up a lot of space. If they're not hogging your hard drive, I suggest you leave them alone unless you know what they do, because you don't want to screw anything up on your system.

you should probably just leave it there.
Most likely you or another user has mounted that drive's location at some point.
do a
"mount" in terminal.
is 192.168.1.107 a mac? pc?
will it use smb? appletalk?
most likley its appletalk.

it's def not appletalk (my roommates are all pc heads). if anything, the ip is a samba broadcast or an sftp connection...those aren't really my concern as much as the HD and HD\ files. i was just curious as to what they were...i'm a *nix head...i don't like having invisible files visible...that's what the terminal's for:)

thanks for the replies...i'm gonna check out apple's documentation site (if i remember)

Well, sure, you can use Terminal to reveal hidden files, but Tinkertool gives you a graphic representation of the files you have hidden. I also don't like to see all the weird stuff I'm not supposed to see, so if I need to see hidden files, I turn it on in Tinkertool temporarily (which I did to inspect my own Volumes folder). I suggest you get Tinkertool anyway, as it's quite useful for tweaking your UI.

If you really want to get rid of these files, move them to a different folder (like Documents) or move them to a different media device (like a Zip disk or a CD), and then remove the original files if necessary. Work normally like this for a few days, and if you have any weird problems, put the files back; otherwise, delete them and go about your abnormal life.

Back