Strange Hilight colors in 10.2

Cocoaholic

Registered
Why are the hilight colors in most apps darker than the color i set in General Prefs?

When i choose the 'light blue' in General Prefs this is how they end up... (see image) the same happens to other colors, lime green becomes dark green etc.

junkmail_training.gif

Why?
Am i the only one with this problem :confused:

Me too.

But I don't think it's an important thing.

Oh my God, the color is different!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-/

Not important?

Why the hell give us the option in the first place then, it has only been there since years and years, always worked and since 10.2 it's broken!

Not important?
For me it is!
i'm colorblind.

In a related note. I've lost the highlight when i select items on the desktop. I click on a folder and you have no idea that i've selected it. Where did that go?

Twister

I the the really dark blue highlight thing too. The most annoying place I see it is in Adium when selecting someone in the buddy list. Black text on dark blue. Really nice.

Originally posted by twister
In a related note. I've lost the highlight when i select items on the desktop. I click on a folder and you have no idea that i've selected it. Where did that go?

Twister

I also have this problem, and it's kinda really annoying... hmm...

Another problem:

When u use a finder window as list, there r grey arrows near all directories.
If u deselect this window (click on desktop for example) all the window becomes lighter. If u select again the window, it becomes darker except for these arrows.

=)

Originally posted by 3mors
When u use a finder window as list, there r grey arrows near all directories.
If u deselect this window (click on desktop for example) all the window becomes lighter. If u select again the window, it becomes darker except for these arrows.

So do you consciously have to think to substitute letters and numbers for words or does it just come naturally? ;) And why not '4' for 'for'? Inconsistency.....

Originally posted by hazmat

So do you consciously have to think to substitute letters and numbers for words or does it just come naturally? ;) And why not '4' for 'for'? Inconsistency.....

Uh? I don't understand sorry .... =/

I have a similar problem, which I thought was a color configuration problem, but now I'm not so sure.

I selected Yellow, which is the highlight color I always use and it appears bright orange. Very distracting. I had to change it from that to a grey.

Perhaps Apple has taken the liberty of darkening the color for us laptop users that weren't getting enough contrast in pervious OS X builds.

Anyway, I don't like it... I'm waiting for a hack to adjust the color myself.

Originally posted by Cocoaholic
Does it only happen on laptops?

I do use a Powerbook :cool:

Can anyone confirm this problem only occurs on laptops?

No, I have a G4 tower and a Trinitron CRT monitor. Some places it's the set color in General Prefs, which is the blue, and sometimes the blue is really dark, making black text on it almost unreadable.

it may just be semantics....

i think selectiong the 'highlight' color one change what also could be termed the selection color for applications that don't let you set this directly (like Terminal.app) in most cases.

To test this theory, select the test in the location bar of you browsers, or an item in the Finder, or some text in Textedit. The color yuo set in Sysyem Prefs is applied. It also stated right in the General pane in System Pref what these settings effect...see attached clipping

Appearance: for the overall look of the buttons, menus and windows

Highlight Color: for selected text and lists

Attachments

• generalpane.jpg
    generalpane.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 9
It's not symantics, it used to work like it should before 10.2

Whatever it is I have my Appearance color set to Graphite, Hilghight color to light blue, and still selected messages in Mail etc. are dark blue (dark green in your case)

Ok.

In Mail I get the selected message in a dark version of the Highlight Color and selected text as the light version of the Highlight Color.

I really don't see the problem...

I should clear up...

My problem was that the color I selected was NOT the implemented highlight color thoughout the system.

Orange is NOT yellow.

The other item of importance was that I mentioned laptops simply because laptops don't typically display color as well as VGA monitors do.

My laptop still displayed 'orange' on my color corrected VGA monitor as well. :confused: so the problem was in the color configuration.

I wanted a bright yellow, not a hazed pastel version of yellow (which is the sample color) or an orange (which is what I end up with when I select yellow).

Symantics, possibly, but worth mentioning. ;)

'You can't always get what you want....'

Or, you can choose a custom color...see attached

Attachments

• other.jpg
    other.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 16
Back