strange, Intermittent network behaviour

quadraspleen

Registered
Hi there,
I have a client who has just moved into a new building. They have a mix of G5/G4 tower and iMac/eMacs. About 35 in total. Two servers, not running RAID. They have a new CAT5 cabled network, with a couple of 24-port Netgear oldschool hubs, which I've told them to change, but they had them at their old building and they have been fine.
The building is brand-new and they had a very respected company in to do the cabling. It has been tested 3 times.

The issue:

When copying files across the network TO the server from a workstation, it is quick. About 2-3 mins for a 1Gb PSD file. The file copies fast, with no glitches. No errors are noted on the Eth0 interface on the workstation.

When copying files FROM the server to a workstation, it is incredibly slow. Anything from 25-45 mins for a 1Gb file. The file will slow down and speed up. Lots of RECEIVE errors are seen on the Eth0 interface of the workstation, also lots of collisions on the same interface.

This happens from pretty much any workstation on the LAN to the server.

AppleTalk is not being used for the network per se. It is mostly TCP/IP throughout with one AppleTalk printer.

What could be causing this? It has me stumped. If it were the network it would/should do it in both directions, surely?

Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ok, you need switches.

can you give details about the servers ?.

and when does this happen, like when everyone is accessing the network or during a particular time ?.

Back