strange issue with power book

vahtryn

Registered
I'm having this strange issue migrating my itunes from my old power book over to an external hard drive. I'm totally stumped and am looking for some help in this matter.

First I was going to back up my important files my external hard drive. I get to about 10 gigs (out of 50) moved and the entire powerbook just locks up, I hit cancel copy and it takes about 5 minutes before it cancels and the machine will actually start working again.

So I get my mbp yesterday from work. I bring it home and use the tiger disc (as I lost my old one) to boot the power book and run the disk utility. It finds an error and repairs it, I verify the disk and it says it's 100% ok. So I reboot the powerbook again only this time in firewire mode. Once it's booted as a firewire drive I connected it to my mbp.

the mbp sees the drive and mounts it. I start copying over my itunes, and bam, at 8.88 gigs and it locks up both machines. It requires a hard boot of the power book and that unlocks the mbp.

So I boot up the power book again and try copying over the itunes directory over to the external hard drive and get the same problem again.

Finally, here's the real big kicker. In all of those senarios even when I move files over by chunks of a gig, when I reach the about 10 gig mark, the power book just stops transfering files to either the mbp or the hard drive. What's up with that?

I'm at a total loss. I can't lose my music collection, it has so many ripped cds that my ex took from me that I really don't want to have to buy again or even pirate. Tonight I'm going to try to start burning the directory off to dvds but I'm not sure if that will work :(

i do the DVD backup in addition to an external drive backup. cause you know, that ONE day when BOTH drives mysteriously kick the proverbial bucket you'll wish u had SOME sort of backup!

hmmm, have u tried an iPod to save ur music collection? maybe the iTunes transfer wouldn't lock up (just as a possible solution). if u don't have one, maybe a kind friend would loan you theirs (assuming THEIR music collection is safe and can erase the iPod) to move the music temporarily to the iPod

-Also, have u tried ethernet connection and using Appletalk between the PB and the MBP? Maybe the ethernet connection would speed up the transfer so it won't lock up? just a thought.

Back